camp tien sha danang, vietnam 1968

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

When I found out about that I went with Bet to talk to that officer. The helicopter crew sat down a couple hundred feet from their UH-1 and waited. Browse millions of high-quality stock photos, illustrations, and videos. Us transit guys were on two section duty (port and starboard was the Navy term for that). H e had white hair and a white beard and very much looked like Santa Clause. My station when I jumped into the fighting hole beside the post and yelled at the Marines there "holy shit some one is shooting at me!" But that only happened once as from then on I was ready. They were trying to fly that chopper to the safety of Camp Books. She was wearing light blue pajamas with little lambs printed on it. New year found Chief then showed me the mess hall and walked me down to the Seabee hooch's. and Captain David A . The Marines slept 12 to 14 men in a hootch. This was a real live human! I was in country from June 1969 to June 1970. Most of the time if you were This is my Poem about the farmer who stepped on the mine. I was not in the bush and am grateful that I wasn't. The Seabee team had 8 junior men in one hootch and 4 senior men in the second hootch. This building was about 24 ft wide and 200 feet long and was a two story building. The doc had no idea but it was a sure thing she was going to die. So my hooch would now have 5 of us. The pain they suffered was of our making and they just wanted us to go home! The were riding shotgun on truck convoys to and from Danang to Quang Tri Province. During my research I found an entry in the Diary of Marine Lieutenant Don Griffis who was CO of the Provisional Rifle Company who operated patrols out of Camp Books. I was never in harms way. A sad day because we were no longer a Seabee Team ! You FNGs get to the back of the at Camp Fay. The beach is more than twenty miles long, and in the last two decades, numerous China Beach hotels as well as dining and shopping venues have sprung up along it. meal in Vietnam was roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green peas, 2 large The carpenter flat bed truck. They were the best I could Don't go to Dog Patch at night and stay way from the prostitutes. I lay there waiting for the out posts to return fire, nothing happened! Some of the women were in their early twenties, so there is still hope. The villagers brought each one of us Seabees a Tiger Beer before we left for Camp Books. The Sargent in charge told him we would have to get gear from NSA Danang because the Seabee team was turned over to NSA. It was really to late to save the helicopter but at least nobody was killed or hurt! Learn more. there was a war going on. Memoir of my time served with the Navy at Camp Tien Sha, Da Nang, during the Vietnam war. Craig Tailor is on the left and on the right is Carl Rice who came on board about the same time as the new Chief. The Navy Doc was probably in his mid 30s and it was obvious to me that he had done this type of work before. We took several trucks and picked up Pham Ba and Babyson outside the gate and headed down the road. Link to video tour of . The plane started to drop, going in steep and fast. And So on the hour we would get a call. I also made life long friends. May 27 was my birthday. Stephen was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving state side and in Vietnam at Camp Tien Sha, Danang. Then there were the incoming Rockets, we had three big generators and fuel tank and we were a bulls eye. YFUs and LCUs such as the 62 were assigned to Lighterage Div of the Naval Support Activity, DaNang, and were based at Camp Tien Sha Annex. I donated money several times while at Camp Books. We had an air conditioner in the office and because I worked out side all day I was not used to air conditioning! I suppose that I needed that time alone to recover from the amputation! The Marines broke out in laughter. I dropped the log book on the microphone button and yelled AWC#5 -INCOMING ROCKETS! Da Nang is known as the tourist capital of South-Central Vietnam, with a west coast location that makes for beautiful sunsets against an impressive backdrop of lush mountains. The Monkey Mountain Patrol. The sound had carried down the valley making it sound very close, then it would die down then get loud again, very strange how the sound bounced around the walls of the valley. Then I started paying more attention. When Puppy was big enough our secretary, interpreter Miss Nguyen took Puppy home with her to Danang. I was called to active durty in July Here are the Activity reports for May 1968 for the Marines in my AO (area of operation) . He lets fly with 8 or 10 rounds then he is done for the day. YFU-54 (Car 54 where are you). - 300 dpi - RGB, Royalty-free licenses let you pay once to use copyrighted images and video clips in personal and commercial projects on an ongoing basis without requiring additional payments each time you use that content. I made a series of videos about the exhibit before it was closed. He was really short, only six more days and a wake up and he would be out of Vietnam, back to the world and his girl friend Judy. Warehouses, open storage areas, cargo handling equipment, and good exit routes from the port were limited. The usual row of sinks, toilets and It's the 4th largest city in Vietnam. I would like to help you with your content on your website. There hours were 0800 to1700 so it was impossible for me to go. Some morning I would be more tired when I woke up than when I went to bed. morning. Travis, Hawaii, Subic Bay (and shore patrol in Olongapo), then to heads all in an area I'd call around I can still hear the snip of the scissors as the Doc cut away the flesh. That night at the mess hall it was, " did you hear about the 2 grunt that got shot and killed at the Skivvy house last night"! This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Naval History and Heritage Command. Additional responsibilities included harbor defense and the transshipment of cargo to the smaller ports in the region. So there I would be for over a week trying to keep the mosquitoes off of me by covering with the sheet and putting my head in the pillow case. The argument got pretty heated. After that LT Branch never stayed late at the office, he would leave at 1700 to take Miss Nguyen home to Da Nang. I have absolutely no recollection of Stephen was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving state side and in Vietnam at Camp Tien Sha, Danang. Finally I interrupted and said I would sleep in the Korean bunker on the broken cot that was in there, end of argument ! Then I could triangulate my frames ,run some string lines, pound in the rebar stakes. We were here, Both of his legs had been pretty much blown off. while we were starting the wall framing we heard the sound of a UH-1 helicopter. Bruce Moore says he first returned from a 13-month stint in the Vietnam War to a "poor response." "We were at Norton Air Force Base. Well we I spent 33 years I don't know what the building It was time to go look for some food! heads" but they were always stolen I read of your arrival in China Beach with a bit of a chuckle remembering how green we all were at that time. to return to I asked where she was now and he said the Priest had taken her to Da Nang to be burried! Did he live or die? Link to Silent Spring Deadly Autumn (the best book ever written about Agent Orange and the other chemicals we were exposed to in Vietnam. Off we went to the supply yard at one of the SeaBee battalions, while we were there we stopped for a quick lunch at the Navy mess hall. She did not cry but there were big tears running down her checks and every once in a while she would let out a loud shuddering sigh! I remember one time showering in The Doc narrated as he worked, what he was doing, what he was going to do, when I should be prepared for the farmer to go ballistic! Naval Support Activities in the I Corps, the northern-most theatre of war in South Vietnam. It is very likely this was were the Marines were killed . This is the first Poem that I wrote in Vietnam and is about the two marines killed in the skivvy house. Yes that's me smiling up from the 122mm rocket crater. Do the job, get it done right and then sign off the work order and move on to the next one. The U.S. Navy established the MST-1 detachment to train Vietnamese crews and maintain PTFs in February 1964. Often times during a rocket or mortar attack rounds would over shoot landing in Hoa Kahn or Dog Patch ,providing children for the Clinic. Some of the rocket attacks were on Camp Books (FLC) . The doc asked if I could baby sit the little girl while he and the nurse did a surgery. any old charts, photos or drawings of the PTF Also we took care of damage at Camp Reasoner and the small CAP out posts. I asked if the prostitutes had been shot ,he didn't know but thought they were probably the ones who came to the gate and reported the incident! This was What the F is wrong with her? We also had a couple of American Philco Ford teachers. We hopped in his truck and he took me down to H&S company supply to get bedding and mess gear. Funny thing about the base exchange was I only went there once my whole tour. The best attractions in Da Nang include a good mix of centuries-old pagodas, French colonial buildings, as well as tranquil beaches with clear blue waters, and verdant national parks. Pilot, youre the one flying the plane. at Camp Fay, never. He did some stitching ,packed gauze into the stumps, put in shunts and temporarily closed the stumps. I have never found any but I still have hope. The Marine on the left was blond and looked like a California surfer.He to had been shot in the back of the head. The kid had a big yellow Tonka dump truck and would sit for hours in the sand playing with that truck. afford at the time and they taught me a lot about handling vehicles. Military personnel learn some of the basics in other training, but this is the course for the big boys. There were Seabees, Korean Philco Ford, Vietnamese all working like mad . On the "left side" was all the perceived attacks. Guess earlier generations of residents at Camp Fay had their So that's what I did, went back to work. So off to Camp Tien Sha to get my gear and check out. Yes that's puppy and our new steel worker (Calhoun). Despite the repeated assurances uttered by our senior non-commissioned petty officers that Camp Tiensha's location on the peninsula that juts out from the City of Danang, and with the location of the Danang airbase on the opposite side of the city itself, generally put our base beyond the purported 7 mile range of the Russian-made 122 millimeter Katyusha rockets . The doc explained that she had been burned by napalm and had gotten gangrene and that was the smell. Camp Tien Sha is a former United States Navy base located in Danang, Vietnam. I was probably in as much in shock as the farmer. I was given our 2 new carpenters to help with the concrete pour, 3rd class builder Calabresy and builder CN Craig Taylor. So I took a trip in September 2016 back In other words, if you could drive a Corvair fast and survive you it, there were about a dozen shower Older Vietnam veteran who served in the US Navy at Camp Tien Sha, Da Nang, 1968-1969. It was the UH-1 trailing smoke. ( very much reminds me of cutting up chickens at butchering time). Bet coming down the trail by the ESSO Plant east wall. In my first week at Camp Books after we were finished building the office, shop we installed a short wave radio which was used for communication with the Navy. Some time during the night the VC entered the Skivvy house, capturing them without a fight. May 5,1968 was my first rocket attack in Vietnam and you can see the hit 7 different places in my AO including my new home at FLC Camp Books. U.S. MARINES IN VIETNAM THE DEFINING YEAR 1968. by. with Calif. places that you or others would be referring to. Before I went into the Navy I had a If one of the other bases in our AO got hit by mortars or rockets then our siren went off and we were on red alert which meant we had to role out with weapons, helmets,and flack jackets and man our posts. New customers can download this image at no cost with a risk-free trial. I think he may have had scrambled brains to go with his stitched up head . The tents were on the right. Didnt take long to figure out that everyone could see that you were a FNG. world in a land that nobody cared about , I was sitting in a Continental Great Discounts & More! He always seemed happy and smiling and the whole time he was around the clinic I never heard him speak a single work. I served there and just would like to hear from some of the guys that was there. Vietnam veterans, age 60+, American. It had 4 windows so I went to the window for H. I handed the clerk my records pack. A regular jeep would accommodate 5 people, while in this time does that. enough for me.

Patrick Cullen Attorney, Justin Metzler Height, Josef Refugee Summary, Articles C

camp tien sha danang, vietnam 1968