diy basketball backboard replacement

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

If you own a power saw and are experienced at using it, you can cut this yourself but please use caution. Honestly didn't know i could do this. Grab four large screws (enough to support 30 lbs. Ordering polycarbonate to make a replacement basketball backboard You can order polycarbonate in a range of different colours, thicknesses and dimensions from our webshop. Step 1: Lay the basketball goal on its side. Glass Crank System with 4 in. The online leader in replacement basketball backboard sales and expertise. I then run the saw pushing it along the board (take care to consider the distance from the saws edge to the blade when clamping the guiding board). White in color, according to National Basketball Association guidelines, the shooters square guides a player attempting to make banked shots. You will not find anything comparable on the market. Needles to say, its still one of the best projects Ive ever done with my dad to this day! A bonus for players is the big arena appearance for neighborhood games. Determine which way the system is leaning and include shims underneath the side of the base that is too low. Spread the construction adhesive evenly on the front of the backboard frame where the backboard will come together with the frame. What Size Basketball Backboard Do You Need? Polycarbonate Backboards Polycarbonate backboards are five times stronger than acrylic ones. Especially for this basketball backboard, which will be exposed to the elements all the time (rain, wind, sun, snow). What is Allen Iversons Height and Wingspan? Sand the edges of the backboard so both panels are smooth and continuous. If it seems like it is still not stable enough add more weight to the base or use a mounting kit to stabilize it better. View Details. A player cant develop accurate bank shots by practicing on a backboard narrower than 54 wide. Steel backboards suit outdoor play and a windy environment. NBA regulation. Start by raising the goal to its highest point so its at its most unstable position. If you want to have some fun you can paint any design you want and use any colors on your backboard. AMAZON|BARNES & NOBLE| BOOKS-A-MILLION. After the holes have been drilled, grab a friend and have her help support the backboard while you screw . X. Where to Buy Authentic NBA Jerseys Online? It is not too good as compared to tempered glass or acrylic backboards. I am also planning for building a DIY basketball backboard. You will need to remove the rim from the old backboard and frame. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'hoopsaddict_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_6',166,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-hoopsaddict_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0');Sadly, polycarbonate cannot be exposed directly to sunlight for a long time; the color turns yellow and becomes brittle in about 3 to 5 years. Your email address will not be published. For example, the shape we need for a replacement Lifetime backboard to match is round; 3.5 inches in diameter. Theres hardly a person who hasnt shot hoops growing up. Don't rush; make sure to do this gently since you might break them during the process. This makes them more susceptible to sun and weather damage and after lots of use they can begin to crack or even shatter. It has weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. There were ten other backboards broken by Shaq unofficially for a total tally of 12. If you simply have kids that use your basketball hoop, then you may simply wish to buy this. the surface has to be as smooth as possible when applying the first layer of paint, lightly traced the lines using a ruler and a pencil, put the painter tape using the pencil lines as guides, for the rounded corners I used different objects available on hand, I wanted our basketball backboard to be different than the ones available in the stores, we really like the gray yellow color combination. It was a great choice. Are Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter Cousins? If youre seeking just to replace a 44-inch basketball acrylic backboard, then you can save yourself lots of money, and discover some good deals under $100. Remove the hoop from the old backboard using your socket set and wrenches. We didnt want a panel with simple straight corners. Test the stability by pushing on it from all sides. It does not store any personal data. As a result, you will get long-lasting support from it. If you did, be sure to check out our other basketball FAQ articles here. 1-48 of 307 results for "basketball backboard replacement" RESULTS Price and other details may vary based on product size and color. More importantly, the holes in the backboard for connecting it to the pole werent in a great position to make things as sturdy as I would want. We used 120 grit sandpaper on a belt sander for both the faces and the edges. I did three coats to maximize moisture protection. Now, it is time to share with you the process of replacing your backboard. Diy Basketball Backboard Replacement. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. If you dont use a special construction saw blade (which are quite expensive), the teeth get damaged very easily. Your new backboard material and size should match the original, and a bigger backboard makes the goal heavy, causing it to topple over the ground and putting players in harms way. Its water and rust-resistant features are ideal for outdoor use and recreational games. That said, lets make you a b-ball board already! Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. But if you, do it yourself, the cost incurred would be of materials used, only. But it is far better than polycarbonate. The NBA league use tempered glass and follow the regulation size of a backboard. This will ensure an exact fit of the mounting brackets. I use a handheld circular saw to cut large sheet, no matter what type of sheet were talking about: osb, plywood, marine or formwork plywood, even large hardwood panels. Product Details. Buying 42 x 72 backboards might be expensive for your budget. First of all, you have to lay down your basketball hoop on the ground. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Otherwise, it may not fit, and you may have to end up returning the product. How to Do It. Electronic Scoreboard Portable Match Scoreboard For Basketball Soccer Tennis $135.37 Was: $155.60 $39.70 shipping or Best Offer Markwort Mark V Basketball Scorebook - 30 Games Score Book Scoring Scoremaster $14.99 Free shipping BSN Sports Scoreboards $3,500.00 Local Pickup or Best Offer Only 1 left! I would use two layers glueing wood lam surfaces together with resin surfaces exposed and band with weather resistant solid wood. If your basketball system is older than that, you can still buy a retailed backboard; however, you will also have to acquire a new Y-bracket. In this case, for the basketball backboard, I used an angle grinder disc. It depends on exactly what youre searching for. This way, we made sure that we wouldnt damage the blade of the saw. Best suited for newbies or those who want to while away the time. If you involve a carpenter, the cost is going to get higher. Required fields are marked *. I did this on all four sides, until I obtained the lines for the outer frame of the backboard. We first wanted to make the backboard 180 cm wide by 105 cm high. 6. A backboard needs mass so I would laminate two 3/4" layers; you should be able to cut both out of one 4x8 sheet. Great job Rachel. Make sure to follow the correct alignment so that both of the things can be attached accurately with the pole. FT270 Aluminum Basketball Backboard. High school and middle school squads follow the same basketball backboard regulations as the NBA but have a smaller playing area than the more prominent leagues. For example, if its tilting forward, the location shims under the front of the base. Heat is the hardest but most effective method to patch a basketball backboard. Then, blowout the fluid into the holes so that the patch is added to the damaged spot. Cut an additional 2 x 8 piece 12 inches long. No need to hire any professionals; your friend can help you with this. Marketplace. Attach the 12 inch 2 x 8 to the backboard using construction adhesive and 2 and 1/2 screws, screwing through the 2 x 8 into the back of the backboard. I always apply at least two layers to make sure it will last long. If you are using plywood, secure the backboard by using a drill or screwdriver to attach the wood screws through the holes in the back of the backboard frame and into the backboard. Read on to learn how easy it is to make one, and the basketball board will work for you. Materials (Best Deals Available): Plexiglas: https://amzn.to/2P6OLDJ Acrylic Glue: https://amzn.to/2PDOJofMy Basketball Goal: https://amzn.to/2P6c14N*****. 8 Hang the completed basket to a wall or door. According to Huffy, almost 80% of basketball goals bought today are portable systems. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for A#K Baby Kids Basketball Hoops Set Indoor Basketball Backboard Toys (Dinosaur) at the best online prices at eBay! A plywood material will need wood screws across the holes of the frame to secure the backboard. Backboard material (Acrylic or whatever you selected) Power drill Putty knife Wrenches and socket set Construction adhesive Drill bit Screws Screwdrivers Masking Tape (if you plan to paint your backboard) Sandbags or any other type of weight for added stability Steps to Replace Backboard Glass If you want something more practical and economical, the Lifetime 71526 Basketball Backboard and Rim Combo is a 54-inch backboard that costs around $200 online. 3. level 1. tomgabriele. Its 85 per cent medium-rebound performance rating is a tad less than tempered glass, but its not significant, and its lower price makes it popular among basketeers on a budget. Start changing your life today! If you are comfortable with that size, why would you change that right? The last part is mounting the backboard after its completely dry. Set aside the nuts and bolts. Previous. First Team Premium Competition Breakaway Basketball Rim - 5 x 5 and 4 x 5 Mount. I'm the owner and creator of the Hooption website and a basketball lunatic! By cleaning concrete leftovers on the board (and anything else thats on the board, as well), its easier to check again if there arent any screws or nails remaining in the panel. I will say this multiple times throughout this tutorial because it is very important. But the reused panel has to be sanded, to remove all debris left and flatten the uneven parts (especially around holes). Have your helpers help you set the backboard in place on the frame before the adhesive dries. Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer -2023 Champshoops.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Acrylic and polycarbonate backboards are made from plastic materials, making durability a central focus. Otherwise, you may have to pay a visit to the hospitals. Although they are pricey, they can offer a premium bouncing and rebounding. It will be exciting to see exactly what changes the sport continues to make to the equipment as innovation advances. Its water and rust-resistant features are ideal for outdoor use and recreational games. Sometimes on sale for under $250, this Spalding is a great value. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball Hoop (52" Polycarbonate Backboard) by Lifetime. Step 6: Remove the old backboard material. Your email address will not be published. Most backboards are also glued to the frame, so you may need to use a putty knife to pry off, scrape and remove all of the old backboard material. $1,658.00. Step 2 After testing it for some time, I havent been able to tell the difference in bounce between our hoop and a nice indoor one. But if you have got enough experience, doing it by yourself will be fine. As the primary recreational b-baller in our family, I was concerned with how a diy backboard would hold up and how well the ball would bounce off the wood. Each of your purchases via our Amazon affiliation links supports our cause at no additional cost to you. We made ours 36 inches tall and 44 inches wide. Go to our local hardware store and get a piece of nice plywood or clear acrylic material, whichever you prefer. This extraordinary innovation is patent-pending and is offered exclusively in our online shop. This might occur due to the falling through accidents or for bad weather, or there are numerous eventualities. Posted on 3/4/13 at 7:16 pm. You can buy it ready cut to size. After covering some of the requirements, you are ready to choose the material for your basketball backboard. Be sure to save the rim and all the bolts as you will need to attach them to the new backboard. After the filler dried, I sanded the panel again, using 280 grit sandpaper. How old is your system? So, it is crucial to select the right backboard material that suits your requirement. A DIYer should always wear protective goggles and practice caution when preparing the basketball backboard. 1. Practicing on a regulation backboard will show young hoopsters where to aim their shots and how the ball bounces on the backboard. Add weights to the base of the frame to ensure that the goal system is stable. Anyway, the following are the steps that I used to replace my backboard. I got a really nice basketball hoop from craigslist. There are usually 4 large bolts holding it on. Glue, clamp, and screw the plywood panels together using the 1 and 1/4 screws. Fiberglass looks and feels like a tempered glass backboard at a reasonably low price. Please use caution! To make an educated decision about purchasing the best portable basketball hoop for your households requirements, you would need to invest hours in looking into the different components. Masking tape will work well for this purpose, as it will not leave a sticky mess behind like duct tape would. You can have the folks at the hardware store cut it to your exact specifications. My favorite post of all time ;) Looks great! Prices are higher because all large backboards are made of tempered glass and durable rims that last for years. Best suited for newbies or those who want to while away the time.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'hoopsaddict_com-leader-2','ezslot_8',167,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-hoopsaddict_com-leader-2-0'); Basketball backboards appear in different sizes and usually in two shapes: rectangular and fan-shaped. So I filled in these holes using putty. We specialize in the design, installation and servicing of a wide range of basketball equipment. Please note that if you are looking to replace a backboard on an existing Spalding basketball system, you will need to call their customer service first at 800-558-5234 to confirm compatibility with your system before ordering.Features and Specs:44-i. The driveway basketball court I used for several years sloped seriously downhill. Providing high quality, USA made basketball back boards for home and institutional use. The Dear Basketball is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Use the sandbags or whatever else you have for weight to ensure the hoop is stable. Before you start let me say that it is very important to use caution and follow all general safety procedures when working on a project like this, especially when using power tools and with any heavy lifting. When and Why Did the NBA Switch from Spalding to Wilson? In such situations, a homemade wooden basketball backboard is a perfect solution. However, you'll want to think about the size of your driveway or the place where you are installing the hoop. Fans often see Steph Curry make spectacular three-point shots beyond the arc. Dear Basketball also participates in affiliate programs with Clickbank, ShareASale, and other sites. Seating Maintenance. Sand faces of backboard. Apply white weather-proof paint on the plywood and allow it to dry. Thanks for sharing your real experience. You will definitely select one based on your playing style, right? The way the ball will respond when it hits depends completely on the product of the backboard. Drill six to eight 2-inch wood screws through the face of the backboard into the 2-by-4 board. May 28, 2013 - Plexiglass is a weather resistant alternative to traditional plywood basketball backboards. 3.7 3.7 out of 5 stars (286) $163.22 $ 163. Amazon's Choice Spalding Shatter-Proof Polycarbonate Backboard & Rim Combo 4.6 (118) $17999 FREE delivery Sun, Mar 5 Or fastest delivery Fri, Mar 3 More Buying Choices $167.32 (8 used & new offers) Step 1: Lay the basketball goal on its side. 10-Year Limited Warranty. Polycarbonate and acrylic are made of the same transparent plastic materials; however, the bulletproof feature of polycarbonate makes it five times stronger than acrylic. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Professional leagues do not use these backboards and are seen in public spaces or parks. Make sure your screws are not too long or they will come through the front of the backboard. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. The size of the backboard on a basketball hoop can affect the shot opportunities into the hoop, and generally bigger is better here. 7. I looked around for the parts needed: There hasnt been much of a result, even though we used it for almost sa year. Anything narrower than this measurement won't allow the player to perform bank shots at all! The weather protection will protect it from extreme sunny and rainy times. Okay, hopefully, you have understood the difference between these boards and managed to select the right one for you. Hang the completed basket to a wall or door. First of all, you have to lay down your basketball hoop on the ground. If there are screws holding it to the frame, remove the screws using your screwdriver or power drill. I already had both colors in the shop, as I had already done other projects using these colors. These backboards are for serious basketball players looking to improve their game. Aluminum backboards are made of durable material and are budget-friendly. Shane Wighton, an engineer from Raleigh, North Carolina, stepped up to that challenge by designing and fabricating his own basketball backboard that guides the ball in the hoop every single. The rebound is pretty good, and the durability is matchless. For accurate information, you can call your basketball system manufacturer. You might be one of those DIYers who loves to shoot hoops. Otherwise, the water will infiltrate through those pores and the backboard will get damaged much faster. On the other hand, the manufacturers of basketball equipment do not produce the parts that are going to fit with other brands part.

Grays Ferry Incident, Skimming Money From Register, Georgina Henshaw Heart Attack, Dog Death Astrology, Articles D

diy basketball backboard replacement