kerdi board to drywall outside corner

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

Schluter-KERDI is a pliable, sheet-applied, bonded waterproof membrane and vapor retarder with limited crack-bridging capabilities. The tiles can be installed immediately using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. Using indicator constraint with two variables. Most people get better results by dry sanding, which is relatively easy once you learn the technique of proper mud application. Once the countertop is tiled and grouted, holes may be drilled through the assembly to fit the fixture-mounting studs. The selected screws must be of sufficient length to reach a depth of at least 3/4" (20 mm) in wood studs and at least 3/8" (10 mm) in metal studs. As an alternative to KERDISEAL- PS/-MV, KERDI-FIX or other suitable sealant can be used to seal pipe protrusions and protect moisturesensitive solid backing panels at the mixing valve. Countertop edges may be finished with the KERDI-BOARD-ZC brushed stainless steel U-profile and corresponding Schluter-QUADEC or Schluter-RONDEC, RONDEC-CT, or RONDEC-STEP profiles. Taping compound is the mud used for the main application of tape to the seams and corners, and for the second coat. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? I will have a shower wall of kerdi board coming out and making an outside corner with drywall. Calculate all your membrane requirements for your project. Glass tiles are unique products and may require special consideration. Note: When using the prefabricated shelf, determine the desired height of the shelf and mark with a level line. Kerdi-Board panels, 2 pipe seals, 1 mixing valve seal, 1 - 5 in . Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board > Kerdi board / Drywall outside corner. Once you install KERDI over the drywall panels, they will be completely protected from the water and vapor in your tiled shower. But wouldn't you want a corner bead there to protect that corner? Ensure that its fastened to the wall. Apply a corresponding piece of ceramic tile with thin-set mortar in the resulting space flush with the surface of the KERDI-BOARD. Which folks on Houzz call Schluter for some reason. For many builders, it can be confusing how you can transition between these two materials. A special drywall sanding block can be mounted with fine-grit drywall sandpaper, and it accepts a threaded pole to allow you to easily sand high up on walls without a ladder. Let the finish coat of compound dry thoroughly, then lightly sand the dried compound. Let the compound dry overnight, or longer if necessary. I am going to put the schluter profile on the edge of the kerdi band but overlapping the exposed edge of the drywall. It also creates a smoother finish while allowing you to tape over the drywall and Kerdi board transition. Dining room wainscoting/board and batten help. Schluter Kerdi-Drain Grate Kit, 4" Tileable. How do I perform one on the Schluter-Shower System? The excess weight of the door can make it weaker. What can a lawyer do if the client wants him to be acquitted of everything despite serious evidence? 3. Note: Water testing of the assembly There are two methods to seal KERDI-BOARD to a bathtub. 8. 6. Here are a few tips on installing Kerdi. @Charlie Baum wondering how your proejct turned out!? I made sure to keep the tile side completely clear of mortar. 3. Normally you would get something like the picture below to cover the side of the tile. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. I am extremely pleased with how it turned out. Better yet is to hone your skills so you apply just the right amount of mud reducing the amount of sanding necessary. Therefore, cut a strip of Kerdi board and fit it into the seam. Consult stone supplier and Schluter-Systems for more information. Tip: I wish I would have put RedGuard on the ceiling as well although I'm not sure if it would help with some of my staining issues from the water that accumulates up there. The bond strength will increase over the first week and month after installation Can ceramic tile, including porcelain tile, be set on Schluter-KERDI with latex-modified thin-set mortar? 4.7 out of 5 stars 293. KERDI has been evaluated according to the Standard Method for the Testing and Evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical Emissions from Indoor Sources Using Environmental Chambers, Version 1.1 for California Specification 01350 and found to comply with the VOC requirements. KERDI shall be separated at existing expansion, structural, and flexible edge joints. Find some existing tutorials and project documentation videos to learn how-to get the best out of our products - for more fun in your life, start now! ncdu: What's going on with this second size column? KERDI features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-wovenpolypropylene on both sides to anchor the membrane in the thin-set mortar. Sinks may be mounted on top of the tile or tiled-under using RONDEC or QUADEC profiles and corresponding sink corners. You will have successfully created the perfect transition from Kerdi board to drywall. Normally I would have put in a metal corner trim but needs to go behind the tile. The mortar must bond to the substrate and mechanically anchor the fleece on the KERDI-BOARD surface.3. Claire Larece That section of the house is a project for another time. The back side of the drywall fails and it is just as bad or worse than if it had an issue on the tile side. DIYers often have trouble applying just enough mud when taping, and over-application makes it necessary to do a considerable amount of sanding to get the joints perfectly smooth. Seams can be constructed by overlapping the edges of the KERDI 2" (5 cm) using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar, or by abutting the edges and covering the joint with KERDI-BAND using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. when that is installed I will finish mud that bit of exposed drywall on the other edge and feather it right into the door casing. With the available panel thicknesses of 3/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", and 2" (5, 9, 12.5, 15, 19, 25, 38, and 50 mm), KERDI-BOARD allows the installer to prepare and create a broad range of substrates and building elements for the installation of ceramic and natural stone tile that are flat, level, plumb, square, and dimensionally stable. 1. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. The KERDI-BOARD-SN should be stored flat. @thisisnotadrill Slow and steady. Once cured, I pulled the nails and used kerdifix on the holes. Thanks in advance for lending your expertise. @mrb_1 - That is the correct method. There are inside corner beads that are mudded into interior corners, as well as outside corner beads that are applied to outside corners. When fitting the Kerdi board, you must have cut and removed some parts of the drywall. Sold by GSQ Tools and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. Seamless waterproofing for 90 outside corners; Designed for Kerdi, Kerdi-Board, and Ditra applications; Preformed to simplify installation; View More Details; . @thisisnotadrill i am about 3/4 through demo. That's not exactly an answer but I hope it helps you decide. Fastener locations must coincide with mortar spots. @Charlie Baum thanks for the quick response! Yes. Whether you are building or renovating a shower, you are obviously working with a budget. As long as the transition has been perfectly constructed, you can tile over it. However if installed on drywall it is only protecting one side. Great work, I hope you're proud of it! (you could still try it out and mud/caulk on the flat end but I don't see it lasting long looking good in a damp area). But overall I like it. Please call Schluter-Systems Why should I use the Schluter-Shower System? It looks good. KERDI-BOARD is adhered directly to base cabinets using the Schluter-KERDI-FIX adhesive. Doing this also keeps the profile from 'walking' while the thinset cures up. I even rewatched some last night and none of them do it. There are two methods to seal KERDI to a bathtub. Thin-set mortar takes time to cure. The KERDI-BAND must overlap panel joints by at least 2" (50 mm). However, when exposed to moisture, it wont stand a chance. Sorry for being long winded. The only slight lippage there is, and its not really noticeable is the bottom row where I couldn't use tile leveling clips due to the ledger board. I will just end up painting it. For tile installations using the thin-bed method, apply Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar directly to the exposed KERDI surface and install the tiles, ensuring full coverage. DIYers, though, are more likely to need a light sanding before applying the fill coat. Pretty straight Forward except for having to wet shim the walls. I did this before putting the last row of tile up which made it pretty simple. The floor is not as great as I would like, there's a little lippage between pan tiles and floor tiles but overall I'm happy. is the contractor creating a waterproof schluter-kerdi shower? The corresponding QUADEC or RONDEC profiles are installed with Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar in conjunction with the tile. A Kerdi board to drywall transition is quite vulnerable. But its a good idea to stick to those made by Schluter, calledProfiles. With this application from a wide knife, the joint areas will now be raised up nearly flush with the faces of the wallboard panels, and the tape should now be hidden under the compound. For complete instructions refer to the Schluter website. I was going for a marble slab look and that was the best way to go about it. Houzz Call: Show Us Your Hardworking Studio! You can see it in the second two photos the most clearly. You can go ahead and apply drywall mud on the overlapping seam. I ended up thin setting corner bead and then making it pretty with joint compound. A 1/4" x 3/16" (6 mm x 5 mm) V-notched trowel or the Schluter-KERDI-TROWEL is recommended.. How do I seal Schluter-KERDI to a bathtub? Tiles can be installed directly over KERDI-BOARD using the thin-set method. Butthey extended the cold water line to the toilet so I need to do some rerouting of that water line down below the subfloor and then back up to the original supply location. Spread the drywall mud evenly until its smooth. Determine desired location and trace around the outside of the KERDI-BOARD-SN flange, making sure the lines are level and plumb. How to Fill Gaps Between Hardibacker and Drywall? But putting large tiles up made me very grateful I spent the extra time and effort to make the walls plumb and square. You will have to be very careful when applying drywall mud to a transition located in a corner because any buildup can be challenging to smoothen out once you are done. https://tilemarketofde.com/products/in-stock-tile/statuario-lux-24x24/. There's maybe a 1/4" of painted wall that rounds the corner before it meets up with the schluter edge. But I can't picture how that would look.or how I would keep all the mud off the painters tape, especially when I pull it off if the compound had dried. PDA. You can end your tile with cap / bullnose or a tile profile edge. I am just not sure how to build this. 2. For corners, there are also corner bead products available, which have paper flanges attached to a metal bead. @Charlie Baum wondering how your project is going!!! First Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. The maximum allowable on-center fastener spacing is 12" (30 cm) for walls and 6" (15 cm) for ceilings. Apply just enough pressure to squeeze a little compound out from under the tape. The shelf may be raised at the back to create a slope, or the tile may be set on a slope, to prevent water from pooling in the finished application. KERDI-BOARD is not intended for exterior applications. This knife should be at least 12 inches wide; pros may use even wider drywall knives. Complete bathtub and shower base surround kit, Screws and washers for fastening KERDI-BOARD panels to stud framing, Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels, Vertically grooved building panel to create curved elements for tile, U-shaped profile for finishing partition walls and shelves, Angle profile used to stabilize KERDI-BOARD structures, Anchors used to stabilize KERDI-BOARD panels, Contact us: 888-472-4588 Smaller tile such as 3x6 subway you would flash off with the flat side of a trowel prior to setting tile. Got back onto it in Sept. x 48 in. I imagine you do this all of the time, so hopefully you have a good solution? For most installations of KERDI-BOARD, tile can be installed right away. Holes can typically be repaired by installing a patch of KERDI or Schluter-KERDI-BAND with What is a water test? 3. Seal the seams between the niche and walls using KERDI-BAND with Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar ensuring a 2" (50 mm) overlap in all directions. Few grout lines was another reason. One of these? Panels from a thickness of 3/4" (19 mm) may be used for building shelving. Butter the sides and back of the shelf with Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar and solidly embed it in the niche, resting on the previously installed tile. The tiles can be installed immediately using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. Some professionals omit sanding entirely, simply using a wallboard knife to knock down raised areas of the dried compound. The sanding dust, while not toxic, can irritate lungs and eyes, so it's important to wear a dust mask and eye protection while sanding. 06 of 07. 2. I am planning on redoing my kitchen and was looking for something similar. Remove any air pockets. KERDI-BOARD can be mounted vertically or horizontally on wood or metal framing with screws (i.e. Fasten all corners and limit fastener spacing to 12" (30 cm) o.c. I actually used pieces of leftover KERDI-BOARD in this project. My issue with the corner bead was build up of The corner bead under the schluter profile, throwing off my tile plane. Cut and remove the wallboard such that the niche will be supported on both sides by the studs or other wall framing. http://www.stencilease.com/db/index.asp?catagory=wall%20and%20floor&mkwid=hzg2uMDE&pcrid=7586268226&pkw=stencil%20for%20walls&pmt=be&pdv=c. Find the website that's made specifically for you. 5. Glass tiles are unique products and may require special consideration. Send us an email: , construction-most-common-waterproofing-mistakes, Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, SchluterKERDI was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-DITRA was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-KERDI is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DS is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi - File M-100022, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi-Drain - File M-100023, Sheet-appliedpolyethylene waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder, Eliminates water damage which can lead to mold and mildew, Features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropyleneon both sides, Features an anchoring fleece on both sides to anchor the membrane in thin-set mortar, Ideal for waterproofing in conjunction with tiled surfaces on walls and floors, KERDI is 8-mil-thick and guarantees uniform thickness, The 6 7 (2-meter) wide roll covers wall area from floor to standard shower head height for fewer seams and a faster installation. This grout joint is the location for the capillary break. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Part of the taping and mudding process includes sanding the dried compound (mud) to smooth the edges, For skilled professionals, sanding is minimal, but DIYers may find that sanding is surprisingly complicated and messy. When creating the above transition, the side with the Kerdi board should be the one that is exposed to moisture because it is waterproof. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. The reason this seam ought to be covered is so that it can create an anchor or support for the Kerdi band we are going to install later. The purpose of drywall mud here is to fill in the groove on the seams. It's been a 'long term' project after all. . Here's a pic of the kerdi shower. Do I need to start over or can I simply repair the hole? Using the breaking point where the floor tile is flat and the slope toward the drain begins. Schluter pan is cut and going in soon. The problem here would be that there wont be an anchor point for the Kerdi board strip to be attached to. 2. Sheetrock is a popular brand of drywall, which is why you often hear the name used interchangeably with drywall. When building a shower or a kitchen, its normal to come across scenarios where the Kerdi board meets the drywall. I hope you made the guy flood test his work prior to tiling the shower floor. Cover the joints with KERDI-FLEX. IMO. Fully embedded KERDI-BOARD Any board thickness suitable 1. Kerdi board to drywall dilemma Kevin Mattison last year I'm installing kerdi board into a shower and am finding that the only way to properly square up the corners would be to extend the kerdi board out it's half inch width past the drywall in the rest of the bathroom. Schluter-Systems does not recommend the use of premixed thin-set mortars (mastics/adhesives) in any KERDI installation. Knowing that the entire bathroom floor has been waterproofed. Again, this must be evaluated in accordance with the building specifications. 6. For acid-resistant coverings, use an epoxy adhesive to set and grout the tile. The best approach here is to use a corner bead, preferably the one from Schluter. Please call Schluter-Systems Can I install Schluter-KERDI over drywall in my tiled shower? Thank you, very kind words. FREE delivery Fri, Dec 9 on $25 of items shipped by Amazon. Apply the panels to the wall, firmly press them in place, and align them with a straight-edge or level.4. Ancona Matte Black Hardwired Wall Mount Towel Warmer 4.4-in x 24-in x 30-in. 2. As good as I could get it. Schluter-KERDI-BOARD-SN is a prefabricated shower niche made of KERDI-BOARD that can be installed in both KERDI and KERDI-BOARD wall assemblies. Immediately press the paper tape into the mud, centered over the joint. Sorted by: 4. We Want to See It! KERDI-BOARD not for use in exterior applications. I just need to install the vanity, do some caulking and it's done. If you must tape Schluter-KERDI over Solid Backing for Walls, Scott McGillivray on Waterproofing Principles using Schluter-Systems, How to Waterproof Connections to Fixed Building Elements. I really enjoyed the large format on the walls for a couple reasons. There should be a very thin layer of compound over the tape at this point, but you will still clearly see the tape through the mud. Find the website that's made specifically for you. Is it correct to use "the" before "materials used in making buildings are"? But with wet sanders, it can be quite hard to get perfectly smooth seams without waves and without dissolving and removing too much of the dried mud. Why is it so easy to peel it off the wall today? I'm 95% done though. Keep in mind you did use foam board. 3. I accidentally poked a hole through the Schluter-KERDI while installing the membrane. 2. How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. That's essentially what I want to do but since it's an outside corner, I feel like I need to use some sort of corner bead so it looks proper. x 16 ft. 5 in. I would remove the pony walls and narrow the overall opening up a little - this eliminates the height restriction of the pony wall and lets you experiment. i could post a pic if that helps Comments (34) Charlie Baum Original Author 2 years ago This is confusing since Kerdi Board has no Kerdi on it. After all, they are all built differently. Screws may be placed between adjacent panels such that the washers fasten both panel edges. Remove all surface contaminants from the substrate that may weaken the bond.2. rev2023.3.3.43278. The Schluter-Shower System is an integrated family of products that together form a fully bonded, watertight assembly for tiled showers Can I use Schluter-KERDI in my steam shower? Note: Please refer to the Walls and Countertops Profiles data sheet for additional information on profiles, including installation instructions. Started 2 days ago. I do wish one or two of the full tiles was oriented differently, but when you're right up close to 24" tile it's hard to see the big picture. Waited a few minutes and pulled the tape and it was damn near perfect. Not sure what to do for the ceiling since there won't be any tile. The kerdi wall will have tile and a schluter profile along the edge. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. The exterior paper has a green tint to it helping to separate it from standard gypsum board, and leading to the product being known by most people as "greenboard." Greenboard Is Thicker Than Drywall. Use the widest drywall knife trowel you have to apply this coat. Drywall comes up to the outside corner, and overlaps the raw kerdi edge. The tiles can be installed immediately using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. I love the tile choices. Charlie, I would still install cornerbead first to reinforce the corner. 1. Now you will have to go with some kind of bullnose or trim piece, much like you would trim out a door. If you dont want to deal with transitions, that would mean you have to rip out all the drywall and replace it with Kerdi Board. Find the website that's made specifically for you. Schluter-KERDI-BOARD is a multifunctional tile substrate and building panel, which can also be used for creating bonded waterproofing assemblies with tile coverings. Moen Caldwell Brushed Nickel Metal Bath Accessory Set. Very interesting. (Wear a dust mask and eye protection while sanding.) Cut KERDI to size prior to application. For showers and bathtub surrounds, KERDI must be carried to the height of the showerhead at minimum What size notched trowel should I use to install Schluter-KERDI? INCREDIBLE. But you will incur an extra cost for their services. How to join seams between hardiebacker and drywall in a corner? No, it wont. 4. Prior to setting tile, wait 24 hours to allow for final set of the mortar before testing to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections. KERDI-BOARD is not intended for exterior applications. The Kerdi band is the preferred tape in this scenario because it is waterproof. Including flashed up the walls behind base board actual water damage is not a concern.

Justin Metzler Height, Exit, Pursued By A Bear Monologue, Articles K

kerdi board to drywall outside corner