list of aave words to avoid

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

updatehello there, long time no see -! The content produced by YourTango is for informational and educational purposes only. Were clearly expected to believe that Anna is impulsive, headstrong and adventurous, and were shown her scaling the castle roof in For the First Time in Forever. No one ever seems to be supervising these kids Why wouldnt she just sneak out? It has a rhythm that differs significantly from that of other Englishes, and people tend to use the rhythm as a punchline or to seem more street savvy. Why Should Non-Black People Avoid Using AAVE? we don't use these either. They started out fairly sheltered in Resembool, because Trisha was quite Amestris-ised and they were raised that way and yeah they stood out a bit but they didnt face the racism they found in Central and elsewhere because everyone knew them. Reason to read (and buy!) list of aave words to avoid. Itd be real gross of me to claim I havent made my fair share of mistakes, so here I am working to fix where Ive gone wrong. Because now that you know, you need to stop. There sure is something fucked by using AAVE to be aggressive, tough, or loud. Many believe the language developed in the plantations of the American South, where African people were enslaved. The past tense in AAVE would consist of "I been bought it," "I done bought it," "I did buy it," and "I do buy it." so it's impossible to truly tell if he was genuinely trying to avoid AAVE or if he was poking fun at the way that some words and phrases on the . Are you using the language to level up or earn yourself street cred, ___ game on point, on point, on fleek, fleek, 100, keepin it 100, one hunnit, one hunned, emoji (depending on the intended meaning), etc., 10s, Aint (depends on the context and the persona trying to be portrayed are you imitating a Black woman/person? Mocking white people is okay because we have and continue to have power over POC. Assess whether your ability to say a word is as important as the dehumanization, oppression, and appropriation of an entire culture, specifically a culture who have been treated like shit since the entire existence of the country. I recommend noting down these names and blocking them all. Trudy from Gradient Lair speaking about current teenage slang being pretty much entirely appropriated. Our website services, content and products are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Her work covers astrology, pop culture, and relationships. -this includes southern americans. ", dime : to describe something of top quality, - "we all went to din' and then I had to pay", done : the state of being completed, perfective, - used throughout a sentence as an adverb. Here are a few tips to help you avoid overusing "very": Use a thesaurus to find alternative words and avoid repetition. Below is a massive list of aave words - that is, words related to aave. Niggas been sayin this forever), Ratchet (dont be a smartass - the slang use, not the object), Extra (slang version - "that person mad extra"), Giving life (i.e. Most of the time, its misused or overly emphasized. Heres a tumblr post with a few examples of rules specific to AAVE. A lot of these words are also used heavily in non-Black queer and trans communities. Instead he just gets a punch to the face and gets. the information on the carrd will more or less be accurate since this list is based on the consensus of black people that not only i have experienced, but among other black people as well ! Reblogs/links ok.)hatenu yumekimi ga ite yo mo hananishiku mono zo nakikimi ga kieta kisetsu ga mataotozureru tabi ni aa setsuna ga mune wo kogasu, Unending dreamWith you the world is glorious, there is nothing that comparesEach time the season when you disappeared comes aroundAh, the moment burns my heartyami ni mau hanabira hitotsuhoho wo kasume hodokete kietanaze ni sore hodo chiri isogukokoro ukishi hana mo chiyu, A single petal fluttering through the darknessgrazed my cheek then flew away and vanishedWhy are you in such a hurry to fall?My heart in disarray, even flowers fallhana kaorukimi narade dare ni ka misemu teru tsuki zokawari hateta kono sugatayami ni obore moha modorezukimi wo koishitau, The flowers are fragrantIf not you, then to whom shall I show the shining moon?1It has changed completely, this body of mineNow that I have drowned in darkness, there is no returnI long for youkoe wa todokanu namida hitotsukokoro kuzure obieru boku waashibi ni tobikomu chou no gotokumono kuruoshiku omou dake, My voice does not reach, a single tearMy heart breaks, I am afraidLike a butterfly that flies into the andromeda2My thoughts are wild and madyureru tsuki ga hororoyami ga kimi wo kakushita, The wavering moon crumbled awayand the darkness hid youhatenu kono omoi wa fukakuyorokobu kimi ni tada aitakute, This feeling is deep and endlessI just want to see you full of joykoe wa todokanu namida hitotsukokoro kuzure obieru boku waashibi ni tobikomu chou no gotokumono kuruoshiku omou dakekokoro ukishi hana mo chiyu, My voice does not reach, a single tearMy heart breaks, I am afraidLike a butterfly that flies into the andromedaMy thoughts are wild and madMy heart in disarray, even flowers fall. Whens the last time you said deadass this party is lit? Chances are, it was trying to sound cool and tough. Disclaimer- I claim no ownership over the items I link. Im not comfortable with that. Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/zoil Twitter - https://twitter.com/ItsZoil Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Zoil/ Discord - https://discord.com/invite/g. update/acquire some virus protection software, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE BLOGS STATED ABOVE OMG JUST DONT DO IT. The future tenses would consist of "I'ma buy it," "I'ma gonna buy it," and "I gonna buy it. Who was taking care of Elsa and Anna and running the kingdom before Elsas coronation? While xQc, a caucasian Canadian man, vehemently denied that he is Black, Cenat went on to joke about how the former Overwatch League pro had the right to say the N-word. You are not exempt - y'all gotta do better. Mocking the dialect of black POC is downright disgusting. Lets further perpetuate the stereotype that black people are uneducated and aggressive, why dont we. The differences between Southern english and AAVE -are- admittedly harder to notice than, say, the difference between a Boston accent and AAVE due to how entwined they are. If the url looks like a keysmash (random collection of letters and numbers) chances are it is a virus blog. Robin Boylorn puts it well; Cultural appropriation at its best, steals, reduces, overuses and then disposes of words like so much bathwater.. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. bc people put on the dialect at very specific times for very specific reasons., not sayin that everything in this post is wrong bc theres some good points but uhhhhhh. SO on that note; here are specific words/phrases all nonblack people should avoid using because they are AAVE and originated and belong to black communities. spill the tea!) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU FOLLOW OR ATTEMPT TO VISIT THEIR BLOG. list of aave words to avoid. LIKE HOW DIFFERENT WOULD THE STORY BE IF ED WAS ISHVALAN? UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU PAY THE WEBPAGE. Please consult your doctor before taking any action. im working on this solo, so pls bare w me !. especially given how much of it is used now, #but others? Gag, gagged (to mean amazed or taken aback) Giving me life, giving me all, giving you (a look/mood/aesthetic) Go off, but go off The gawds, beat for the gods/gawds Have several seats Hella Homies, squad -the house, the house down boots, etc Hunty Hype, get hyped I feel you Killin' it Laid, laying your edges Lit Lowkey, and other -key terms Just like with other forms of cultural appropriation in mainstream media, if you criticize a Black person for using AAVE but encourage or even find humor in it when a non-Black person talks in AAVE, thats when it becomes an issue. we dont use these either. ": question that serves as a reality check, -usually used with children who suddenly act their age, swag : the state or description of being cool, "that shxt don't make no damn sense": a reaction to something that literally doesn't makes no sense, - the grammar is supposed to be pretentious, "that's tuff" : used to respond to =someone's inconvenience, - "oh, you missed the soccer goal. If you find that your windows computer has been infected visit these webpages on a different device (or check the page now and write down the instructions just in case). Fun fact. AAVE, or African-American Vernacular English, is the origin point of too many slang terms to name. Someone had to take care of her horse, or change her sheets. This includes but is not limited to: A common misconception is that this is language created by Gen Z because they appear to be the ones that use it the most, but some communities are saying that this is not the case. Well never know, because secondary characters are mannequins in this movie. During the State Alchemist trials theyre just humoring him and not planning on letting him in until he blows them away the way he does and then Bradley is like OVERRULED becausehe knows. If youre looking for an even more detailed list of words and phrases youre not allowed to use anymore including bruh, aint and clapping emojis between words , click here. But when those words are said by a Black person, its seen as improper and not smart., In "Using Black Vernacular English (BVE) as a Non-Black Person Isnt 'Woke' if You Don't Understand the History," Anisha Phillips explains, When white and other non-Black people use this terminology to gain social relevance, we are often able to turn it on and off when necessary. Let alone Arendelle. If you click on one of these blogs you are at a high risk of being redirected to a page claiming to be the FBI (or other police agencies specific to your country) explaining to you that your computer has been detained for one of the following reasons: The ransom ware website explains that the only way to escape these charges is by paying a specific sum of money (from 100-500 dollars) through moneypak. If I am in any way speaking about things I shouldnt, please dont hesitate to educate me. Speaking on the topic just a couple of days later, Nick Polom, who is Black himself, said that Valkyrae shouldnt have apologized or even acknowledged the perceived issue. We all need to fix our behavior. i'll try and keep this updated! Scar leaves Ishval and goes to Amestris and is like Im going to kill all the alchemists in revenge for my people. Are they trying to let the line die out? Again, this entire story is fucked. It's a thoroughly developed muscle of a resilient, disenfranchised people.". ), thirsty/thirst (as in theyre so thirsty), gas/gassed/gassin (she was gassin gas this). FMA: Hiromu Arakawas gorgeous (cover) art. Avoid visiting other users blogs, even ones that have been safe in the past until this virus dies down. AAVE is an acronym for African American Vernacular English. No, AAVE is simply the name of the dialect. You dont get to use the words of the people you oppress to look cool. But what exactly is AAVE and how is it harmful for non-Black people to say it? According to Language Jones, there are two competing hypotheses about the linguistic origins of AAVE as the history of the U.S. has obscured the origins. Also, this list includes attempting to mimic AAVE in your speech, like with the linguistic styles and such. -this includes southern americans. When white people use terms that are part of AAVE, it erases the history behind it. Basic: Used to describe a woman who likes mainstream trends such as products and music. Racism is so deeply ingrained in our society that we are taught to believe that AAVE is inferior to Standard American English. Why the hell did Anna have so much free time? this carrd will serve as a master glossary for almost all aave words n phrases (made by a black person) ! plus my blog can get kinda personal. Im your father now. and this is how Scar turns into Valjean.). Here is a look behind the origin, and why white people shouldnt use these terms anymore. Building on these awesome explanations, (because Ive seen this movie eight billion times and lordy I need to vent): I dunno, I probably have more in me, but thats all I can note so far. ", RELATED: White People: Cutting Off People Who Aren't 'Woke' Enough For You Only Creates More Work For BIPOC. After the Homunculi Shenanigans they both help Mustang in his plans to help Ishval. This led to the formation of a Creole language with an English superstrate but strong pan-African grammatical influences meaning lots and lots of English words, but still a distinct language from English.". Valkyraes use of African-American Vernacular English (AAVE), It's official: Cloud9 VALORANT parts ways with Yay after 5 months, Here are the early LoL Patch 13.5 patch notes, Ludwig's $500,000 VALORANT team becomes instant meme after disappointing Challengers debut, 100 Thieves content creator Kyedae diagnosed with leukemia, Here are all the abilities for Gekko, VALORANTs newest initiator. If you still wanna argue: 1.) Slang version of "tea" (i.e. It is infantilization and paternalism since many Black adults use these words. Anyway so Scar gets a redemption arc earlier in the story and Ed ends up wearing the clothes in the pictures instead of the Amestrian clothes he had been wearing and getting sorta-adopted by Scar. If you cant tell if something is AAVE or Southern American English, then your best bet would be to -ask- black peers and make sure you specify that youre going specifically for a white southern accent and not AAVE. Bae Bae is an abbreviation of the word "babe," and basically means a significant other. Just hire me, thats it., Valkyrae last week apologized for the use of AAVE language during a stream, and while she didnt specifically mention what she said, Reddit sleuths deduced that it was likely that instance of her saying no cap on a stack, for real, for real.. There is a difference between a southern american accent and imitating AAVE. !im working on this solo, so pls bare w me ! The internet is soft. flexing money and/or other luxurious items, - also used with the phrase "fo real," which means for real, - the endings of words, such as fo sho, are greatly explained on the wiki under the phonology section ;), -similar to, the very pg version, "shut the front door", g : term for og or friend (of any proximity), - functions as an adjective meaning of quality, gag : to describe being taken aback by something, or amazed, game too strong : to describe something as overpowering, ghetto: to describe someone's behavior based off of stereotypes of black people, - the stereotypical place of residence; impoverished, predominately black neighborhood, giving me life : to describe the feeling of being inspired, moved, and/or validated by something, give them the smoke/work : to show off someone's skills, - usually used in competitive settings, such as sports and gaming, when someone is showing great skill/technique, - stems from older aave terms with the usage of -iz- in between words, go off : a way to express or passionately speak on something, or vent, - could be used as to dismiss someone, "but go off, i guess", goin[g] through it : the state of someone going through tribulations, or struggles, in their life, "got this in the bag" : term for encouragement, - similar to the phrase, "you got this," but the in the bag part is a metaphor for security, - in the bag could also directly relate to money bags, "good looks" : used to describe something as impressive, got me fxcked up: phrase used to show dissatisfaction, and/or disapproval, have [a seat] : used to tell someone to mind their business, - "you don't know what you're talking about, have a seat", have [time]: phrase used when someone expresses they have the patience, or time, to do or discuss something, [emailprotected] : to describe someone who is ignorant, - used as an add on, "with your goofy [emailprotected]", hella : to describe the amount of something, usually excessively, heated : to be angry, or to describe a situation as aggressive or tense, high cappin' : adjective to describe someone who lies often or with convoluted lies, - "my brother is high cappin' he ain't do jack", hit different : to refer to an event the feels/seems disparate, - hit is also a term term that acts similarly to a verb of someone using something, homies : term for buddies, friends, easily interpreted as homeboys, hummin' : to describe something that doesn't smell good, - "man, my breath is hummin' after that gyro", - "imma be a hunnid with u ion know wtf is goin on", hunty : a combonation of honey and cxnt, used as a demeaning term, hype : to get excited about something, or to describe something as exciting, "i got the time of day": phrase used to tell someone that they "have time", - used when someone has the patience to do something, either in argument or day to day, "i know that's right": phrase used in agreement to, or with, something, i know u lyin? It's just that some weirdo mod made a big deal out of it and thought that you could only use words from that dialect if you're black, but that's not the meaning of AAVE. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. If a black person calls you out on aave and asks you to stop using it, then stop. White southern dialects, for one example, are very rhotic. nothing personal. Just say gossip. Being a -good- ally involves identifying where you go wrong and fixing your behavior, and then continuing on to educate others (especially other white people.) It is loaded for Black women/femmes and thus a cultural term. read : to roast, or be roasted, by someone, - when you read someone, you point out their flaws, real : to express the difficulty of something; to express transparency in something, -"to be real," is similar to saying, "in all seriousness", respect : to express someone's respects, usually verbally expressed, - usually used in modes of transportation: car, walking, rolly : noun for rolex; any resemblance of a rolex watch, run(nning) hands/fade : to incite a fight, - used in arguments of those who are deemed ascorrect, - other variations: skoo (just drop the letter before m), serve : to describe the looks given by people, think of modeling, shade : to have, or express negative remarks of someone/something, - other variants: shawtee, shauty, shautee, other phonetic spellings, shoe game : to describe someone's shoe style, usually in a positive way, - there are other variations with other items of clothing, or to describe someone's skill with [noun/verb] game, shook : to be surprised, literally shaken up by something, shoot[as]ers: a name for someone who has your back, shoot your shot : to ask out someone in your interest, sickening : to express someone's amazement, side-eye: the state of being suspicious, shady, skeptical, simp : the state of being overly desperate, sis : short for "sister," used to address someone, slay : to look good, and/or perfect something, again, think of modeling, s[ch]lumped: the state of being very tired, and to describe someone as they're asleep, [the] smoke : to refer to someone to fight, or beat up, - reference to someone's skill in fighting, - "don't mess w me, or you'll get the smoke", - usually used to describe the looks of someone, being neat n tidy, spittin : when someone is speaking fast, skillfully rapping, or speaking facts, stay woke : a phrase that can serve as a reminder to stay open-minded, and/or alert, steady: the state of consistency, being at the same pace or state of being, straight up : similar to the definition of real; tell the truth, -replace this word with "literally," and that's pretty much how it's used lol, "so u grown now? AAVE is a dialect with its OWN linguistic rules and it is something you grow up speaking. Maybe shes orphaned and Pinako raised her. Thats some pretty serious shit right there. Feel free to reblog and add more! Twerk/Nae Nae: Dances that originated with Black culture. For years, people have brought to light that some slang words that are used on an everyday basis originate from African American Vernacular English, or AAVE. #ill admit that at least *to me* some of these are more on a tricker slope, #and that I personally dont bave a problem with *some. but also please consider this wonderful accompanying fanart: and also going through the tags of both posts have some interesting ideas as well! Talking to xQc in a voice chat, Cenat couldnt believe that some of the words on the list could be interpreted as inappropriate appropriation. ***the doc included also goes into other harmful language including a list language some of which is seen as normal!!! SO on that note; here are specific words/phrases all nonblack people should avoid using because they are AAVE and originated and belong to black communities. this younger superwholock girl from Design Team that I dont even know by name, just as sippy cup girl after the annoying, noisy way she drinks out of her weird cup, came up to me after it ended today and asked me, do you have a tumblr?. AAVE stands for African American Vernacular English, and is essentially a vocabulary that is claimed to have been created by African American communities going back many years. teehee teehee this carrd is to serve solely as a dictionary-like/glossary for aave. You are not exempt - y'all gotta do better. Paying them will not free your browser. !note :some aave terms are claimed by other marginalized groups that i am not a part of, and it is not my place to add them to this list, so i would refer to you researching those unlisted terms on your own ! Im making this post to try and inform other nonblack people not to be disrespectful and stay away from words and a dialect that is -not- ours. Nonblack people using words like yall are only okay when its used in a southern dialect or mocking said dialect- not AAVE. I did add a couple of recent ones. Did anyone educate these girls, by the way? sorry sippy cup girl. I should stick to my white southern accent. down bad: when someone is desperately at their lowest point, either emotionally, financially, mentally.. drag : to call out someone and to critique someone, - "a new record dropped [insert your fav]", dry : to describe someone or something as boring, - usually in the setting of text messaging, "errybody and they mama": used when an audience is larger than normal, - not a literal audience, but those involved in something has a higher than average turnout, extra : to describe someone, or something as over the top, "[that's] facts": used to respond to someone who is telling true statements, or express agreement, feeling some type of way : to describe or emphasis a feeling someone has- "this person makes me feel some type of way", fierce : used to compliment something that looks high quality, or superior, fire : to describe something as very cool, catchy, or nice sounding, - could be used to describe a beat of a song or clothing, fleek : used in the phrase "on fleek," meaning to look on point, or look nice, flex : a verb that is similar to showing off, - for ex. The present tense would be "I be buying it." Id like to thank everyone who contributed to this post- I spent countless hours interviewing and researching to be sure this contained everything needed to educate others about some things black people want you to know. According to AAVE Card, if you are white or a non-black person of colour, you should not use any of the above phrases. Do people like Anna and Elsa with royal blood simply hold ALL the power in their kingdom? tumblr post with a few examples of rules specific to AAVE. The Dialect Divergence Hypothesis comes from the idea that AAVE is a sister dialect of Southern American English that started diverging in the 1700s and 1800s. Seriously. that's tuff. Is there really no criminal punishment for Hans attempting to assassinate the royal family and usurp the throne? It is a dialect, with its own structure, and there are many other issues that come along with it, for example, how you pronounce the words or using a blaccent. (These lyrics are not from an official source. ", - "ariana's performance was pheonominal, show's over! :D. Definition : also called Black English, is spoken by most African Americans and Black Canadians. Were shown nothing to support this notion, and indeed, once Elsa returns and stops being power incontinent, people seem to love them. Maybe Amestris had Ishvalan Boarding Schools happening. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. It is a good idea to check your blogs html for suspicious activity and coding. If you are a mac user you shouldnt worry to much. WHO KNEW. Or using the BLM movement as plots in your writing or art? BACKGROUND. and our Alternatives and Substitutes for Appropriative or Problematic Language. RELATED: It's Not Black People's Job To Solve Racism. ", RELATED: 8 Low-Key Racist Things You Need To Stop Doing Immediately. Another piece by Tylah Silva explains, White people arent banned from using AAVE either, but knowing the cultural significance is very important in the process of not erasing it. (WLW) Women-Loving-Women: An umbrella term for lesbians, bisexual and pansexual women. A major reason being that one is for black people only. He was perplexed by what Valkyrae felt the need to apologize for. He seems to clearly see the frost on the scepter, so is he in cahoots? 2023byTango Publishing Corporation All Rights Reserved. My god. you know what i mean. Salty, lit, turnt, bae, woke all these and many more phrases can be traced back to AAVE words. Avoid following back until this virus dies down. If you aren't Black, you shouldn't be using them. !as always, if there are any concerns, please contact me !last updated : 11-01-22. about that : used with phrases like, "about that life," meaning, being passionate about or associated with something. XQc took the conservative route in responding to Cenats issues with the list, saying that its not my call and adding that its not my culture. But Cenat seemed to have so much frustration with the list of words that he took his assertion one step furtherand maybe even one step too far. This is simply White privilege in action and standard BuzzFeed vampirism of Black users in social media, primarily Twitter. Gee. dont learn the rules just to excuse yourself using them. 1. 1. These two hypotheses are Creole Origin Hypothesis and Dialect Divergence Hypothesis. Nae Nae involves placing one's arm in the air and swaying from side to side. See additional information. There IS a difference. I would enjoy a pint of Estrella with Bowser, Much like in season one, viewers are losing their minds, Her account has been unavailable since yesterday, Some of them are now richer than the Dragons themselves, Quinta has never posted her husband on social media, Second Home, 68-80 Hanbury Street, London E1 5JL, Want a well-paid AND flexible grad job? Though it is wrong to use this vocabulary satirically to ridicule African-American cultures, many of the words on this list have been well-integrated into other dialects (e.g. Terms like "cool," "my bad," "hater," "24/7," "back in the day," "high-five," "lame" and "rip off" are only a few that started out in black communities but are now used everywhere and by everyone, according to Vox. Sharing what POC think and feel about their struggles instead of speaking about how their struggles affect you is central to being a good ally. Lit: Used when something is good or will become good. If you aren't Black, you shouldn't be using them. As long as you exercise reasonable caution you should be safe :) If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me!

Japanese Purple Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts, Chess Hustlers Chicago, Articles L

list of aave words to avoid