shaun ferguson nopd wife

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

New Orleans police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson addressed his decision to resign from the NOPD on Wednesday. I was not forced out. Williams was recently promoted to Deputy Superintendent in June. That is why any chosen candidate for chief must adhere to the City Council confirmation process widely endorsed by the voters of the City. Call #NOPD's Homicide Unit at 504-658-5300 or call @CrimestopperGNO at 504-822-1111." shaun ferguson nopd wife. "The City of . Several sources have said Cantrell has long been eager to name a Black female police chief as part of her legacy. Cantrells warm impression of Ferguson remained with her when, early last month, Harrison said he was stepping down to take over Baltimores troubled department. THIS IS MY DECISION. Walker Marching Band for playing the National Anthem at Gallier Hall on St. Charles Ave. Friday, Jan. 18, 2019. Shaun Ferguson tells WGNO that she had been a nine-year veteran of the NOPD and called the event horrible news. You cant ignore he just kept getting one left hook after another.. Jacob Lundy, a former NOPD officer who resigned in 2017 after 10 years and works as a criminal justice consultant, worked under Ferguson in the 2nd District when he joined the department. He also thanked Cantrell for supporting him throughout his tenure as chief, saying she often stood by his side when others called for him to stand down. SO HAS THE SUPERINTENDENT WHO JOINED THE NOPD ALMOST 25 YEARS AGO. Since then, the city has faced countless challenges the Hard Rock Hotel collapse, two major hurricanes, a global pandemic, global inflation and a nationwide shortage of public safety personnel that New Orleans was certainly not immune to. He tested at .03, well below the legal driving limit of .08. It appears the Mayor might appoint his replacement immediately, in order to avoid the January 1st City Charter change that gives the City Council approval powers. According to Ferguson, his family had endured "a lot" during his tenure as chief and thanked them for their support. Moving forward, there should be a national search for a new police chief to find the best candidate to lead the NOPD. Ferguson announced his retirement Tuesday, Dec. 6 . He has held the position for the past six months. At the time of his appointment to Chief, he was serving as the Commander of the Educational and Training Division, which oversees the police academy. ", "It is quite possible that this person already exists within NOPD," he said, "but if so, they need to be selected via a process that engenders the most NOPD and community support.". During his year-long recovery, the cops on his squad Ferguson among them donated sick days, called constantly and organized fundraisers. He urged the council and other city leaders to work together and to stop political showmanship and "show up to the table" with open communication and ideas. Should Ferguson continue to work as a police officer in some capacity, he could keep contributing to his state retirement package. Your steadfastness in the face of these challenges and tragedies certainly has been a source of comfort to your fellow officers, affected families and victims and our community overall. Shaun Ferguson announces retirement, La. 2 in rank at the department. A little extra on my side where I could get those cases solved.. Ferguson and other officers rushed to the scene of the shooting. Before this, he commanded NOPDs Fourth District from 2014 to 2016. During their many interactions, Cantrell has said that he left her with the impression that he was fair, firm and friendly.. Fergusons first commander assignment was in the 4th District, which polices Algiers and has often been the starting ground for lieutenants who have been promoted to commander. As a parent of a teenage son and lifelong resident of the City of New Orleans, Woodfork uniquely understands the challenges that the department and the city face as well as the success that can be achieved together. Ferguson graduated from O. Perry Walker High School in Algiers in 1990, according to his personal history record. It has just humbled me throughout my career as to how to work with people, and how you should be a brotherhood-sisterhood with each other while taking care of your community.. The DA and Ferguson eventually put their differences aside and formed a partnership where the two launched a Serial Crimes Prevention and Prosecution Initiative.Ferguson is a New Orleans native and a graduate of O. Perry Walker High School in 1990.Ferguson joined the NOPD in December 1998. "This has been an emotional week, an emotional month. IM WALKING OUT ON MY OWN ACCORD. Ferguson saw the department through COVID-19 and two years of the highest violent crime rates since Hurricane Katrina. Sitting in his new corner office on the top floor of police headquarters, Ferguson smiled when he was asked about his favorite moments from that first tour of duty. Nummer 6 - 2017; Nummer 5 - 2017; Nummer 4 - 2017; Nummer 3 - 2017; Nummer 2 - 2017 View spatial City data including the popular Property Viewer and Streetwise. I had a little knowledge of some of the players out there, Ferguson said. He said that the data was not an indictment against officers who work for the NOPD and expressed his appreciation for the officers in the department.Ferguson called the back and forth between him and the DAs office unwarranted, and was firm in his message of the challenges the NOPD faced in regard to violent crime. It was Officer Juan Barnes Sr., one of Fergusons comrades in the Algiers-based 4th District of New Orleans. Fergusons exit comes as a new charter amendment is set to take effect Jan. 1, giving the council the power to confirm or deny mayoral appointments to key posts, including police chief. Algiers was a tough place to be a cop as Ferguson was moving up the ranks, and developing relationships with the community while remaining tough on criminals was a daily battle. 113 talking about this. The Orleans Parish District Attorneys Office on Monday dropped a domestic violence charge against the son of Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson. Its called accountability, he said. HE WAS APPOINTED THE CITYS TOP COP IN EARLY 2019 WITH NO CLUE THE CHALLENGES TO COME. On Monday morning, NOPD Superintendent Shaun Ferguson and Deputy Chief Superintendent John Thomas met for a press conference to discuss the incredibly violent weekend in the city. One of the church's members, Henry Glovers aunt Rebecca, said she wishes him well. Since then, she has been assigned to five of the NOPDs eight districts at the rank of Patrol Officer, Sergeant, and Lieutenant. Ferguson was named 4th District officer of the year in 2000, 2002 and 2003, according to his resum. Superintendent Shaun Ferguson chastised journalists Tuesday (July 26) for . We were a close-knit unit, Ferguson said of his early days. His tenure as Chief saw the national rise in crime due to the lasting impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, but under his diligent leadership, the NOPD persevered. We need to support each other as we continue the work of making this city safe for its residents and visitors. Without those raises, there was no way to retain veteran officers who left at historically high levels at a time when recruitment was impaired by COVID. It was too perilous. He is also a member of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, the Louisiana Association of Chiefs of Police and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives. Ferguson rose up as a beat cop in the 4th District, patrolling the Fischer public housing development in Algiers. The cause of Glover's death was kept under wraps for years. Ferguson faced difficult times during his tenure as superintendent. Ferguson said he first met Cantrell as a lieutenant in the 2nd District, where he served from 2012 to 2014. Today, only one officer involved in the case is in prison the one who burned the car with Glovers body inside. What began as a simple salary data search on officers in the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) has led to a months-long undercover sting operation and has recently ended with cop suspensions, a . Ferguson also asked the community to continue to uplift the police officers of the city, praising the dedication of his officers on the force. Federal prosecutors said it was all part of a larger cover-up. "We need to get this right.". "I also want to thank the citizens of this great city for their kind words and support during my tenure. Subscribe to email updates, All Contents. His community-focused approach has helped mend the relationships between our officers and our residents. (booking photo via Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office). As the New Orleans City Council approved the city budget for the upcoming year, including a package of incentives for recruiting and retaining New Orleans Police officer, councilmember at-large J.P. Morrell repeated his desire to see NOPD Superintendent Shaun Ferguson replaced. He also says he believes the next Superintendent of the NOPD should come from inside the NOPD. Pennington came as a reform agent, and upon doing so, he earned a lot of the communitys trust, he said. AT A NEWS CONFERENCE WEDNESDAY, HE SAID HIS FAMILY IS AGAIN AT THE HEART OF THIS DECISION. U.S. District Judge Susie Morgan earlier this year pumped the brakes on plans to move the NOPD into a two-year offramp from federal oversight. We just stayed together. "We all loved Everett and we owe it to his memory to do what we can to make sure his. Those leadership attributes may have won the notice of then-Superintendent Ronal Serpas, who named Ferguson as commander of the 4th District in 2014 to replace a captain who had been sidelined amid an internal investigation. The latest breaking updates, delivered straight to your email inbox. Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department NOPD Interim Chief Michelle Woodfork Shane Ferguson, son of NOPD Superintendent Shaun Ferguson, turned himself in to authorities Tuesday evening, Cunningham said in a statement late Tuesday. Published Dec 7, 2022 at 5:23 pm | Updated Dec 8, 2022 at 7:53 am. There could be somebody out there thats just a diamond in the rough, that may have some fantastic ideas, Livaccari said. He liked the idea of putting the pieces of the puzzle together on complicated investigations. Ferguson's final walk and salute will be held outside of Gallier Hall on Thursday, Dec. 22 at 11 a.m.About Ferguson: Sources say Jonette Williams could be named the next NOPD superintendent. He opened it up to fellow officers. "I was not forced out. He is also a member of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, the Louisiana Association of Chiefs of Police and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives. His first court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday morning. His community-focused approach has helped mend the relationships between our officers and our residents. For Shaun Ferguson, a West Bank police 'brotherhood' helped drive his rise to NOPD chief, BY MATT SLEDGE AND RAMON ANTONIO VARGAS | [email protected] [email protected], Domestic violence charges against NOPD chief's son dropped; case was set for trial Monday, Witness to Mardi Gras killings on initial silence: 'I was trying to kill' shooters, avenge family, Former New Orleans police chief unanimously confirmed as Baltimore's new police commissioner, For the 3rd straight year, New Orleans sees a steep drop in murders, Who is Jonette Williams? . In August 2015, during jury selection for veteran 4th District Officer Michael Thomassies trial on allegations of raping a 7-year-old girl, Thomassie received a pair of text messages from Ferguson. June 14, 2022; indigo child symbol "After 24 years of dedicated public service to the City . "To the men and women of this city, I love you. NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune reporters Heather Nolan and Carlie Kollath Wells contributed to this story. Ferguson was sworn in as superintendent in January 2019 after serving as the Commander of the Educational and Training Division. Ferguson quickly received a reminder that being the top cop comes with greater scrutiny. Ferguson said his commitment to accountability does not conflict with caring for officers, even ones who have fallen under criminal suspicion. Including victim assistance, accident and incident reports, and how to file complaints or commendations. Ferguson said that when he finally sat down in his office at the 4th District, he looked back on a profession that had started as just a job but became a calling. They stayed connected while Ferguson moved between posts. They've been 100 percent, anything I needed, anything I wanted, Barnes said. He also says he believes the next Superintendent of the NOPD should come from inside the NOPD. Rafael Goyeneche of the Metropolitan Crime Commission says Ferguson was a dedicated officer and police chief. "Ferguson issued the following statement regarding his retirement: "I want to thank Mayor Cantrell and her administration for their constant support over the past four years. At the time of his appointment to Chief, he was serving as the Commander of the Educational and Training Division, which oversees the police academy. Son of new NOPD chief arrested after domestic dispute, Laura McKnight, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune. Published: Dec. 7, 2022 at 9:52 AM PST. Join me live on @FOX8NOLA at 5PM and 9PM for analysis. Commanders, 16 of which the NOPD superintendent appoints at will, fall administratively just behind the three assistant superintendents and the superintendent. Ecommerce; beauty lol pussy. Hem; Artiklar; Nummer. Ferguson was chosen to lead the department after former Superintendent Michael Harrison announced he was leaving New Orleans to become the police commissioner in Baltimore. Earlier in the day, Ferguson expressed gratitude for his nearly four years as the citys top cop as he defended his stewardship of the force in troubled times, while saying the decision to retire was his. I am walking out on my own accord, he said. Ferguson issued the following statement regarding his retirement: "I want to thank Mayor Cantrell and her administration for their constant support over the past four years. The 21-year-old was booked into the Orleans Justice Center jail on a charge of domestic-abuse battery, WDSU 6 reported, citing inmate booking information from the Orleans Parish Sheriffs Office. "After 24 years of service in a profession that takes a lot out of the individuals who answer this call, it is time for me to take a step back and place more priority on my family and my own well-being. "Its time to go home. By Chris Miller. E-mail [email protected]. During his tenure, he obtained a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration from Southern University of New Orleans, where he also received a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice. His community-focused approach has helped mend the relationships between our officers and our residents. Shaun Ferguson says the average response time currently sits at 11 minutes, but with the help of civilians, the department can reduce that time. Orleans Parish Sheriffs Office also released Fergusons booking photo Wednesday morning, and it has been added to the story. Cantrell, whom Ferguson praised next only to God for her support of him as police chief, asked that he take the holiday to consider it. Most notably, she received the Purple Heart Letter Award in 2017 after being struck by a drunk driver who plowed his vehicle into a crowd of 30 Endymion parade goers while she was on parade duty. Ferguson said it was time to focus on family, and he felt confident that he had made a difference in his time with the police department. Ferguson heaped praise on the officers who remain while urging greater public support for them. Sources tell FOX 8 recently promoted Deputy Superintendent Jonette Williams is the frontrunner to be tapped by Cantrell to replace Ferguson. shaun ferguson nopd wife. Your steadfastness in the face of these challenges and tragedies certainly has been a source of comfort to your fellow officers, affected families and victims and our community overall. Cantrell has yet to name Ferguson's replacement, though multiple sources inside and outside the police department say she's chosen Williams. The son of the newly sworn-in head of the New Orleans Police Department was arrested Tuesday (Jan. 22) in connection with a domestic dispute that occurred over the weekend, according to NOPD spokesman Andy Cunningham. Williams would make history as the first woman to ever become superintendent of the department. It would be disingenuous to the appointee and the people of this city if there were any attempt to circumvent this process, therefore, I am looking forward to the opportunity to engage the public in a community discussion on this important next step.". New Orleans Police Department AND RIGHT NOW, FERGUSON TELLS US HE HAS NO PLANS ONCE HE OFFICIALLY RETIRES ON DECEMBER 22ND. Reform-minded Superintendent Richard Pennington, hired in 1994, had managed to put the department on a new course. Given his deep community ties, Ferguson may have been destined to cross paths with LaToya Cantrell, who began as a neighborhood organizer before becoming a City Council member and then mayor. So that started a conversation, Ferguson said. Other Glovers attended Central Citys First Emanuel Baptist Church with him. What I can take credit for is taking individuals and bringing the best out of individuals and making them a team, he said. Deputy superintendent eyed to become NOPD's first female superintendent. Before this, he commanded NOPDs Fourth District from 2014 to 2016. Ferguson also sits on the board of the Jugs Social Club, which organizes the historically black Krewe of NOMTOC's Carnival parade on the west bank. Civic leaders push for national search for new NOPD chief, Shaun Ferguson says the decision to retire was his alone, BY JOHN SIMERMAN AND MATT SLEDGE | Staff writers, Mayor LaToya Cantrell gives State of the City address: 'Tired of fightingready to build'. Cantrell led the Broadmoor Improvement Association at the time. FERGUSON ALSO SURE TO ADDRESS HIS CRITICS, SOME OF WHOM WORK AT CITY HALL. His neighborhood bona fides helped soothe tensions in the years following Katrina. According to Ferguson, he has no plans after retirement and will remain in the city to see what God has to offer him. Ferguson later explained that he had been drinking the night before at an Easter celebration. The 2nd District comprises the Carrollton, Freret, Leonidas neighborhoods and Uptown, all within Cantrells former council district. City Council Vice President J.P. Morrell called for Fergusons resignation last week as the council worked to approve the citys $1.5 billion budget, of which, $25 million would go towards a police recruitment and retention incentive package. NOPD Supt. Ferguson served with the department for 23 years, with three of those years in the top position of the department. The 21-year veteran was a relative unknown when Mayor LaToya Cantrell tapped him to replace outgoing chief Michael Harrison, who left for the top police job in Baltimore. She was then assigned as a Lieutenant in the 1st District before being promoted to the rank of Captain in November of 2021. He has a bachelors degree in business administration from Southern University of New Orleans, NOPD said in a 2015 news release about his promotion to 2nd District commander. Ferguson was hand-picked by Cantrell and had previously served as head of the training academy and commander of the second and fourth police districts in New Orleans. "A masked vigilante known only as "X" dispenses justice without mercy to the criminals who rule the decaying city of Arcadia. The best person for the New Orleans Police Department is within the New Orleans Police Department, he insisted. Ferguson said he paused and let out a deep breath before responding. View Crime Maps, UCR Stats, NOPD Calls for Service and more. He was promoted to that job in March 2014, near the end of former superintendent Ronal Serpas tenure. NOPD superintendent Shaun Ferguson Sr., left, and outgoing chief Michael Harrison, salute one another during the final walk and swearing-in ceremony at Gallier Hall on St. Charles Ave. Friday, Jan. 18, 2019. The crucible of Algiers, an area apart from the rest of New Orleans with its own history of violence and police brutality, helped shape the 21-year NOPD veterans approach to the job. Overall, Ferguson's work history, coupled with interviews with fellow cops, community members and other public officials, shows an officer equally comfortable charging through doors as shaking hands. New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell on Jan. 14 announced the 46-year-old Ferguson as her choice to replace former chief Michael Harrison, who has taken a job as police commissioner in Baltimore. Yet, you faced all of these seemingly insurmountable hurdles with dignity, grace and determination. Shaun Ferguson named new NOPD chief by Mayor LaToya Cantrell. We would go and take our showers there, he said. I could not have done my job without their support, and I will always be grateful for that. Should Ferguson continue to work as a police officer in some capacity, he could keep contributing to his state retirement package. To the men and women of the New Orleans Police Department, I love you," Ferguson said. The department came calling again in 1998. As they walked side by side during a neighborhood "walk against crime" one day, he noticed her picking up trash. The cop said he thought Glover had a gun. According to Ferguson, he said Cantrell asked him to reconsider, but he told her that it was time to "go home.". In December 2022, Mayor Latoya Cantrell appointed Woodfork as Interim Superintendent of the New Orlean Police Department. Ferguson said his decision to retire was an emotional one. Ferguson also asked the community to continue to uplift the police officers of the city, praising the dedication of his officers on the force. To this day I continue to think hes done a great job. "I am grateful for the opportunity we had to work so closely together to improve our citys public safety through a collaborative, holistic approach and through working in tandem with other City departments.". (Photo by David Grunfeld, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune). Shaun Ferguson named new NOPD chief by Mayor LaToya Cantrell, Other questions:[email protected]. As commander, Ferguson won plaudits for his open-door policy. He also commanded the NOPDs Fourth District from 2014-2016. Fergusons first assignment was in Algiers, the same neighborhood where he grew up. We have also seen more illegal guns being taken off our streets, with nearly 2,500 illegal guns seized just this year. View online City tools and other City websites. Ferguson oversaw a department plagued by steep officer losses and few new recruits to replace them, while facing criticism over a lack of a plan to deal with the surge in violence as the force shrank. Equitable Business Opportunities (EBO) Program, Community Assets and Investment, Office of, Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness, New Orleans Office of, Information Technology and Innovation, Office of, Municipal and Traffic Court of New Orleans, Neighborhood Engagement, Mayor's Office of, New Orleans Municipal Employees Retirement System, New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORD), Public Library, New Orleans (Main Branch), NOPD Searching for Suspects in Third District Shooting, MAYOR CANTRELL TO ATTEND U.S. CONFERENCE OF MAYORS WINTER LEADERSHIP MEETING AND ASPEN IDEAS: CLIMATE CONFERENCE IN FLORIDA, Alcoholic Beverage Outlet (ABO) Processing Fee, NOPD InvestigatingHomicidein Fifth District, MAYOR CANTRELL ISSUES STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF BOB TUCKER, Mayor's Neighborhood Engagement Office Announces Launch of New Civic Leadership Academy Cohort, TRAFFIC ADVISORY: Temporary Lane Closure at 1400 Block of St. Charles Avenue, CITY OF NEW ORLEANS CELEBRATES COMPLETION OF $6.4 MILLION ROADWORK PROJECT IN WEST END, NOPD to Conduct Upcoming Sobriety Checkpoints on March 9, March 16, Including victim assistance, accident and incident reports, and how to file complaints or commendations, Professional Standards & Accountability Bureau, Traffic Signals/Signs/Striping/Streetlights. All rights reserved. It would be disingenuous to the appointee and the people of this city if there were any attempt to circumvent this process, therefore, I am looking forward to the opportunity to engage the public in a community discussion on this important next step.. We have also seen more illegal guns being taken off our streets, with nearly 2,500 illegal guns seized just this year. Moving forward, there should be a national search for a new police chief to find the best candidate to lead the NOPD. This is New Orleans. Ferguson's career includes numerous periods in the NOPD Second District, which spans from Napoleon Avenue upriver through the Audubon, university, Carrollton, [] Ferguson emerged from the aftermath of Katrina with no known blotches on his record. Fergusons tenure he would have reached four years as chief next month -- is fairly standard for New Orleans police chiefs, who serve at the will of the mayor. "Everything I have been through, this department has been through, has been by his (God's) order and I will continue to follow that." The citys new chief took his oath with fanfare in front of Gallier Hall on Jan. 18. "City Council President Helena Moreno released the following statement: Superintendent Ferguson faced significant challenges over the past several years, and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication to the people of our City. Copyright 2022 WVUE. "I would like to extend the most heartfelt thank you to Chief Ferguson for your nearly 25 years of service, selflessness and sacrifice, especially in accepting my appointment of you as Chief in January 2019. As he ascended into the upper tier of NOPD leadership, Ferguson maintained a near-spotless disciplinary record, with the exception of a single sustained complaint three years ago. InspireNOLA charter school network in November honored Ferguson with a community service award. Orleans Parish District Attorney Jason Williams criticized inconsistencies in NOPDs data and the FBIs data for arrests and solve rates. NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Amid building pressure, New Orleans Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson will retire from his position effective Dec. 22, according to city officials. You have permission to edit this article. BUT IT STARTS, AS I SAID LAST WEEK WITH COMMUNICATION. In a statement, Ferguson . The summer after graduating high school, he also worked as a deputy for the Orleans Parish Sheriffs Office, guarding inmates at the jail. That is who I am. Laura McKnight covers crime and breaking news for NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune. We need a new Chief, period. Warren Riley served five years as chief, and Eddie Compass served three. So far, Ferguson has not announced any major changes to his predecessors approach to violent crime or to the departments reform agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice, called a consent decree. SUPERINTENDENT SEAN FERGUSON WANTS TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. His tibia had to be rebuilt with a bone graft before he could walk again. Ferguson said his decision to retire was an emotional one. Fergusons Algiers home emerged unscathed, aside from losing power. He also thanked Cantrell for supporting him throughout his tenure as chief, saying she often stood by his side when others called for him to stand down. The department is down to fewer than 950 commissioned officers from about 1,175 when he took office. In that role, she was tasked with overseeing the department's Management Services Bureau. Ferguson, who turned 50 this year, said he didn't change his mind. He worked for a time as a supervisor in the homicide division. SOME HAVE SAID IS THE ISSUE WITHIN THE NOPD. Deputy superintendent eyed to become NOPD's first female superintendent. He is also a member of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, the Louisiana Association of Chiefs of Police and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives. He recalls her opening the conversation simply: Are you ready to be my chief?. NOPD Supt. His sons legal problems aside, Ferguson said he is focused on the task of overseeing the roughly 1,200 officers who patrol what is still one of the countrys most dangerous cities. So he has been the chief during the most troubling and trying times in the history of the city of New Orleans, Goyeneche said.

Car Accident In Brooklyn Saturday, Articles S

shaun ferguson nopd wife