should i stay in monterey or santa cruz?

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

We know about the road - we are going go around the long way to Paso Robles to miss the construction.. My biggest problem is finding rooms that accommodate 6. We also love seeing wildlife. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. If you want to go a more scenic way along the CA Highway 1 (also known as the Pacific Coast Highway or the PCH), then plan that to take you about 2.25-2.5 hours. Close, Where to Stay in Santa Cruz, California (2023 COOLEST Areas! I'm wondering with four kids (11,9,7,5) should we stay in Monterey or Santa Cruz? I think my kids would love it. Monterey or Santa Cruz. I think my kids would love it. World Nomads provides travel insurance for travelers in over 100 countries. Situated south of Downtown, the Boardwalk spans the seaside and is home to buzzing attractions, busy restaurants, and cosy cafes. I'm planning on staying 2 nights and then heading to. Answer 11 of 17: We (myself & two young sons) are making our way up from LA to San Francisco next month & want to spend a night in either Monterey or Santa Cruz. There are no modern hippies. (Click on California Coast June '11), Driving routes and options from SFO to Monterey. Your email address will not be published. Santa Cruz is more beachy - lots of wide, sandy beaches, a good surf culture, historic seaside amusement park, eclectic downtown, etc. 5:52 pm Paso Robles eat at Niner Wine Estates stay overnight at Summerwood Winery and Inn To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. The town has lots of motels which can sometimes help save on cost (depends when you go as summer is still high in this area as well). Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. I hear the beaches there are nice so we're considering Twin Lakes State Beach & Manresa. ), Bougie-coffee lover and staunch enemy of coriander; TEFL-certified language teacher, linguist, and aspiring polyglot. Its a great place to watch surfers. A hub of activity and attractions, the Boardwalk is our best recommendation for where to stay in Santa Cruz for one night or if youre on a budget. Would one be better than the other for dinner/accommodations? This charming Inn is centrally located in Santa Cruz. Hwy 101 is nicely scenic though too. 126 216 r/travel Join 8 days ago Monterey is more coastal - there are some beaches too, but the coastline is rocky so the focus is more on scenery and wildlife. Best deals for Monterey Bay Aquarium tickets? Answer 1 of 15: Hi - I'm traveling to California early next August. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-63172993', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Nepenthe. I would chose whichever town seems like the best fit for what you want to do and see. Continue on to Pacific Grove and stay at Asilomar (again) or. It has large rooms with air conditioning, private bathroom and contemporary amenities. Its kind of a funky sort of place, a bit off-beat. This is a good one - heavily visited, but not as busy as the main beach. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-77281854', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Monterey has more going for it than Santa Cruz in terms of things to do as one can easily do Carmel, Pacific Grove, Carmel Valley, and Big Sur from there too. I have lived through this, having moved here in 1970 and been involved in the University and I am very tired of hearing Santa Cruz described as having a "hippie vibe", C'mon, you guys. Have a fun trip! It is one of the most . Part of the trip will include a trip up hwy 1. Oceana Inn Santa Cruz is one of our favourites in Santa Cruz, California but theyre not taking guests right now. Since youre staying two nights in Big Sur you can easily see Monterey while there. I find people to be friendly, generally. As an affiliate, we receive a fee when you get a quote from World Nomads usingthis link. 831-372 . We like the dining scene a lot more in Monterey-Carmel, but inexpensive eats are easier to find in Santa Cruz. Hearst Castle is currently closed due to COVID. Of course, Henry Cowell state park is closer to Santa Cruz, so SC would be more convenient for that. Our Trip started in Santa Monica ending in SF. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-63172993', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Nepenthe. It's beautiful there and lots of things to see and do beyond the aquarium. There is a coastal recreation trail that runs through Monterey and Pacific Grove that is great for viewing the coastline and watching for sea mammals. Monterey Tourism Monterey Hotels Monterey Guest House Monterey Holiday Homes Monterey Holiday Packages Monterey Flights . You can whale watch from either town. Th most breathtaking of Highway 1 is when you leave the Cambria area for the next 2hours. See Bixby Creek Bridge, hike McWay Falls, spend time at San Dollar Beach before reaching San Luis Obispo for the night. No matter where you are in the neighbourhood, youll find yourself surrounded by great tunes. At Pitney Bowes, we do the right thing, the right way. $209. The Vagabond's House Hotel Abrego Tradewinds Carmel Spindrift Inn Cypress Inn Tickle Pink Inn. It has a great central location and is within walking distance of bars, bistros and the beach. It is an up-and-coming hipster hub that boasts a vast array of bike shops and furniture stores as well as rustic cafes, hip restaurants, and buzzing live music venues. This contemporary hotel has comfortable rooms with excellent features and amenities. 7.7 Good 206 reviews. I'm planning on staying 2 nights and then heading to SF. It has the most cultural attractions in Santa Cruz and loads of cool places to check out. Weve tested countless packs over the years, and now weve found our absolute favourite: the nomad-approved Nomatic Travel Bag. Thank you so much for the advice, I think my kids will probably be ready for more beach and less scenery so we will stay in Santa Cruz. These are our 3 favourite hotels in Santa Cruz: Rio Vista Inn & Suites Comfort Inn Boardwalk Hyatt Place Santa Cruz. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. Cheer on the D-League Santa Cruz Warriors or the Santa Cruz Derby Girls at the Kaiser Permanent Area. Do you have any recommendations? Mornings going north, afternoon going south. Alternatively, you may use, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Santa Cruz, an IHG Hotel. Monterey is a quintessential north California ocean town in the USA and has a great population of marine wildlife and fresh seafood. And it is farther from stuff. It was incredible. Capitola is a beachside neighbourhood bursting with a European flair. You might want to consider two adjoining rooms. If you choose Santa Cruz, check rates at the Dream Inn or Sea and Sand. Carmel Gate: The south gate into Pebble Beach, this entrance can be accessed by following San Antonio Avenue through Carmel-by-the-Sea. Kickstart your day with a filling and delicious breakfast at Zeldas. Whether or not it is worth it for your family depends on your interests and what you would otherwise be doing with the time spent at the aquarium. Santa Cruzs 5 Best Neighbourhoods to Stay in, #1 Downtown Where to Stay in Santa Cruz for Your First Time, #2 The Boardwalk Where to Stay in Santa Cruz on a Budget, #3 Midtown Where to Stay in Santa Cruz for Nightlife, #4 Capitola Coolest Place to Stay in Santa Cruz, #5 Aptos Where to Stay in Santa Cruz for Families, FAQ about Finding a Place to Stay in Santa Cruz, Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Santa Cruz. If you can, stop there for a bite to eat. Mar 5 - Mar 6. . For things to see on the Monterey Peninsula see, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g580824-Activities-Monterey_Peninsula_California.html, Santa Cruz is focused more on the Boardwalk or to go see Henry Cowell Redwoods.it also has the ocean, surfing, and a winery section (not as nice as Carmel or Carmel Valley but enough wineries to enjoy in a ery short visit.). With the ages of your children, I highly suggest Santa Cruz, due to the amusement park right on the beach, the beach itself and the cute shops on the wharf. The Rio Vista Inn is our favourite hotel in Santa Cruz. Our Trip started in Santa Monica ending in SF. per night. I would take Hwy 101 north to San Luis Obispo and pick up Hwy 1 there. World Nomads mission is to support and encourage travellers to explore their boundaries. This unit was designed and built by an architect who has a great eye for style and detail. I would also suggest a visit to the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Wake up early and enjoy the beautiful view of the sea, beach and wharf right from your window. It was incredible. 1 big room with queen bed and a futon in the living room that turns into a bed. 1. I'd love to see that hippie vibe back in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Answer 11 of 15: Hi - I'm traveling to California early next August. It also extends on the other side of the harbor entrance. Is the aquarium in Monterey worth going to? I know because I know a lot of them personally, I am always astounded when people still say that Santa Cruz has a 'hippie vibe."downtown. Check out the Mnin-Mokre, Voivodia de Santa Cruz, Polnia WinterCast. There are several Best Westerns in town. Request additional information, schedule a showing, save to your property organizer. Thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations. It has pristine beaches and a laid back atmosphere, while also boasting incredible food, lively nightlife and lush natural surroundings. Both areas have a lot to do. The Capitola Venetian Hotel is close to everything the neighbourhood has to offer. Get complete property information, maps, street view, schools, walk score and more. Manresa isn't as good for swimming though. Monterey. Enjoy delicious food and drinks at Red Restaurant and Bar. With all of the educational institutions we have, it has an international feel to it, and many good restaurants. Henry Cowell is 15 minutes away. Read about how e-Sims work or click below to see one of the top eSIM providers on the market andditch the plastic. The home is incredibly airy and bright, equipped with only high-quality amenities and comfy furniture. And it is farther from stuff. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. This is our first trip alone in quite a few years & I want it be fun, romantic & relaxing! I've just now been informed that the beach isn't really safe to swim in. Also.. is Santa Cruz a better beach destination for those that actually want to spend a little time in the water? It will be warmer here, so if you want a beach day this is your place. The aquarium in Monterey is a big draw, and it is very good. Also, I'm thinking of staying at the Best Western in Morro Bay. Monterey is farther south, so if you only have 2 nights, then Monterey would break up the drive more evenly than Santa Cruz would. We spend a lot of time in the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? This charming hotel is one of our top picks for where to stay in Santa Cruz with kids if youre on a budget. We saw the Hearst Castle. In short, Santa Cruz is without a doubt one of Californias best-kept secrets. Santa Cruzs downtown district is also where youll find the local arts scene. Located in the heart of Monterey Bay between Santa Cruz and Monterey, 4 miles inland of Moss Landing, 20 miles from Santa Cruz and 15-18 miles from Monterey and Carmel. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-77282033', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Monterey/Carmel area. Carmel Beach is beautiful for romantic walks and just enjoying the view, but the water is cold and rip currents are common. I don't know Santa Cruz beaches well enough to speak with authority, but Monterey Peninsula area beaches aren't especially safe for swimming. The seaside town of Santa Cruz is one of the coolest places in California. The aquarium in Monterey is a big draw, and it is very good. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-41177793', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Francisco the first week of August. The Comfort Inn hotel in Watsonville, CA is near Capitola Beach, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Monterey Bay Aquarium offering free hot breakfast & more! We saw the Hearst Castle. Thanks all! The aquarium in Monterey is VERY worth going to. Natural Bridges State Beach is excellent. Answer 1 of 19: Driving the coast from SF to LA. Since you have plenty of time for the trip from SF to LA, distance isn't a factor. I am considering whale watching and hiking in the Henry Cowell Redwood park among other things. Even the hostels in Santa Barbara are upscale. Flexible booking options on most hotels. (the aquarium sounds amazing). ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-63170412', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');California early next August. Nobody remembers that this was happening all over the country. Its kind of a funky sort of place, a bit off-beat. Santa Cruzs Boardwalk neighbourhood is one of the liveliest and most vibrant districts in the city. I do not recommend staying at a hotel right near the Boardwalk, but there are some good ones nearer the Municipal Wharf, specifically the joie d'vivre Dream Inn, the Seaview Inn, the West Cliff Inn (a Victorian Bed and Breakfast) and a couple more. We really appreciate & are super excited about our adventure! Our decision now is what to do with the THREE DAYS we have. Should we. Do check that the Boardwalk is open when you are there as the hours are starting to be shorter as schools are starting to go back into session. If you like to stay at a motel and do the Boardwalk, Santa Cruz is more your liking stay there. Convenient private room is one of our favourites in Santa Cruz, California but theyre not taking guests right now. Set at the heart of the city, this hotel is a short walk to great dining, nightlife, shopping and sightseeing options. I would have a hard time finding stuff to . Monterey is more coastal - there are some beaches too, but the coastline is rocky so the focus is more on scenery and wildlife. Casablanca On The Beach 101 Main St, Santa Cruz, CA, 95060 Fully refundable Reserve now, pay when you stay $144 per night Mar 5 - Mar 6 1.01 mi from city center 8.4/5 (810 reviews) N reason to go anywhere else. Don't know if your kids would be that interested in that, mine were 20 and 17 so it was different for us. 400 plus pictures, but I digress. Manresa isn't as good for swimming though. Your laptop deserves a proper pack, and we know a good few! On I-5 from Pasadena, you'll have to go over the Grapevine, which is what I-5 is called where it goes through the mountains just north of the LA basin - every semi-truck in the Western US seems to go over this pass. The beach is wide and good for walking. Carmel has a great little white sand beach and a European cottagey vibe with lots of boutique stores (it is a pretty unique little community), Pacific Grove has Victorian B and B's but other more casual lodging with coastal bluff walkways. Monterey, California - The AZA-accredited Monterey Bay Aquarium is big on conservation. In addition, between Monterey and Santa Cruz, you should visit Elkhorn Slough, where you can either rent kayahs or take a 'safari' boat trip out into the slough to see the vast amount of sea life. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. The other difference between the areas you mention is that Carmel is higher-end real estate. Monterey is more coastal - there are some beaches too, but the coastline is rocky so the focus is more on scenery and wildlife. Alternatively, you may use, InterContinental the Clement Monterey, an IHG Hotel, http://www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/beaches.htm. It is a really vibrant and colourful area of Santa Barbara, and it reallys really unique. Also, can any give me some input on hwy1 from LA up to San Simeon. Go for a hike through Forest of Nisene Marks State Park. In August they have Art & Jazz @ the beach on Sunday afternoons and Twilight Concerts on Wednesday evenings. You could also visit nearby Carmel which is one of our favorite towns on the CA coast. Even at its warmest, the ocean along the California coast remains cool compared to beaches in the tropics or even Florida. It is ideally located at the heart of the city and is a quick walk to the restaurants, attractions and bars of the Downtown, the Boardwalk and Midtown neighbourhoods. Answer 21 of 26: So with all the road and park closures in Big Sur we are considering cancelling our two night stay there in early March. Here youll find a vast array of independent boutiques, delicious restaurants, charming inns and lively bars. Stay in Monterey or Carmel. For things to see on the Monterey Peninsula see https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g580824-Activities-Monterey_Peninsula_California.html Although it might be a little more upmarket compared to other areas of Santa Cruz, trust me when I say, it worth the splurge! Edited: 01 June . You won't regret it. I'm wondering with four kids (11,9,7,5) should we stay in Monterey or Santa Cruz? Listen to live music at the Kuumbwa Jazz Centre. Part of the trip will include a trip up hwy 1. Set in central California, Santa Cruz is the epitome of west coast cool. And for transparencys sake, please know that some of the links in our content are affiliate links. Situated south of Downtown, the Boardwalk spans the seaside and is home to buzzing attractions, busy restaurants, and cosy cafes. 400 plus pictures, but I digress. I always put up overflow family at the Holiday Inn Express during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even if your kids don''t surf, it is fascinating to watch tht surfers from the bluff. It is conveniently located near the Boardwalk and there are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance. There are several Best Westerns in town. Sip seaside cocktails at Bay Bar and Grill. Which is exactly why I put together this guide to the best places to stay in Santa Cruz. The most breathtaking part of the drive is through Big Sur, which is the stretch of coast between Cambria and Carmel. That was sort of cool to see. I was trying to give a VERY general description as to how the areas differ. Right now, It's all a bit overwhelming so if anyone could help me figure out what's best I would really really appreciate it! Twin Lakes Beach is a good one. I'll also say that Monterey is nice if you're traveling with kids because of the Aquarium and the really cool Dennis the Menace playground, both of which we visited with our then 18-month-old son.

Waters Edge Community Association, Articles S

should i stay in monterey or santa cruz?