taming of the shrew act 2, scene 1 puns

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

Her wondrous qualities and mild behavior, Within your house, to make mine eye the witness. If that be jest, then all the rest was so. I find you passing gentle. When we were alone, we agreed that she would go on being a shrew in public. Of all thy suitors here I charge thee tell. TRANIO, disguised as LUCENTIO, enters with BIONDELLO, who carries a lute (stringed instrument) and books. [As LUCENTIO]That's a trivial objection: he is old, and I am young. Your dowry is agreed upon, and whether you want it or not, I will marry you. [To himself]All my land together doesn't add up to that much!Well, from me she'll have all that, plus a merchant ship that's now docked in Marseilles harbor. A meacock wretch can make the curstest shrew. Please accept his service. Holla, within! Than three great argosies, besides two galliasses. But now, Baptista, let's think about your younger daughter. What may I call your name? Petruchio enthusiastically agrees. No, not a bit. Act 2 Scene 1 Save. Hortensio cuts him off by returning, his head now bleedingapparently, when Hortensio attempted to teach Katherine how to play the lute, she promptly took the instrument and smashed it over his head. who thinks that he can force his way through with enough cursing! I stood there confused for a while, looking through the strings of the lute as if they were prison bars, while she called me a "rascal fiddler," "twangling fool," and twenty other hateful names like that. PETRUCHIO and KATE exit at different doors. I see that your name is Lucentio. When we were alone, we agreed that she would go on being a shrew in public. These are their tutors. Hello, Katefor that's your name, I hear. Pray accept his service. Read more about the theme of the effect of social rules on individual happiness. After my death, the one half of my lands, And, in possession, twenty thousand crowns. Where did you study all this goodly speech? He is wise. [To BAPTISTA]If you choose me, she will have me and mine. Detailed explanations, analysis, and citation info for every important quote on LitCharts. I will unto Venice To buy apparel 'gainst the wedding day. Father, and wife, and gentlemen, adieu. Love and marriage are the concerns of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. Fine linen, Turkey cushions bossed with pearl, Pewter and brass, and all things that belong. What a slanderous world! I was told that you were rough, scornful, and sullen, but now I see that those rumors are lies. Father, it's like this: you and everyone else who've talked about her have all been wrong. I will settle this quarrel. He's well known to me. Next Themes Themes and Colors Key Summary Analysis It is finally time for Lucentio and Bianca's wedding banquet. Bianca, stand aside.Poor girl, she weeps! Proceed in your lessons with my younger daughter. Oh, then you probably prefer money. Petruchio takes money from I'll wait for her here and woo her forcefully when she comes. And as for the education of your daughters, I here contribute a simple instrument and this small pack of Greek and Latin books. Don't refuse my proposal. I think I'll be able to do my master good. [As LUCENTIO]Yes, but your goods were just gathering dust and annoying you. 20% on 50-99 accounts. 'Tis a match. 'Twas told me you were rough and coy and sullen, And now I find report a very liar. See thou dissemble not. Oh, I can't wait to talk to her! They engage in a lengthy verbal duel with elaborate puns, each one constructing a new metaphor from the others commentsKates puns generally insult or threaten, but Petruchio twists them into sexual innuendo. Get Annual Plans at a discount when you buy 2 or more! Well have you heard, but something hard of hearing.They call me Katherine that do talk of me. SparkNotes PLUS Your dowry is agreed upon. I swear by this light, which lets me see your beautyyour beauty that makes me love youthat you must be married to no man but me. Petruchio's wooing of Katherine, however, is free of idealism. So tell me, if I can win your daughter's love, what dowry will I get when I marry her? He has heard stories about her rebellious and wilful nature. [As LITIO]If I look pale, it must be from fear. My fair Bianca, bid my father welcome, 4. The Taming of the Shrew William Shakespeare Study Guide No Fear Translation Infographic PLUS Summary Full Book Key Facts Character List Katherine Petruchio Lucentio Literary Devices Themes Motifs Symbols Quotes Summary Act II, scene i Gremio has been outbid. But yours will burn out. I will be sure my Katherine shall be fine. Whom thou lovest best. I knew you at the first, For knowing thee to be but young and light. [To TRANIO] What, have I choked you with an argosy? What, will my daughter prove a good musician? I have now boldly come as a guest to your house to try and see for myself all the things I've heard reported. I choose her for myself. Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting?In his tail. A room in Baptista Minola's house. Say that she rail; why then Ill tell her plain She sings as sweetly as a nightingale. Taming of the shrew The Taming of the shrew was just one of William Shakespeare's 4 great comedies. Read our modern English translation of this scene. Mercutio. Welcome, good Cambio. You do me wrong, Sir Gremio. Good morrow, neighbor Gremio.God save you, gentlemen! Then she jumped up with impatience and said, "'Frets,' is that what you call them? On the following Sunday, Bianca will marry youif you can make this guarantee. The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare Buy Study Guide The Taming of the Shrew Summary and Analysis of Act II Summary Inside Baptista 's home, Katharina has bound her sister's hands. Pardon me sir, for the boldness is all my own. It seems strange that Kates independent personality would be willing to accept someone who gives her just as little credit as did the other suitors merely because he can match her wit. O, the kindest Kate! Please wait while we process your payment . Oh, be thou Dian, and let her be Kate, And then let Kate be chaste and Dian sportful. I'll make sure my Katherine will be beautifully dressed. Did ever Dian so become a grove As Kate this chamber with her princely gait? If she tells me to get out, then I'll thank her as if she'd asked me to stay with her for a week. 'Tis a world to see, How tame, when men and women are alone, A meacock wretch can make the curstest shrew. Give me thy hand, Kate. Ha, it's nonsense! Ay, when the special thing is well obtained,That is, her love, for that is all in all. Go about it with more ceremony. Summary. whence grows this insolence? Bianca, stand aside.Poor girl, she weeps! How dare you!Bianca, step away from her.The poor girl, she's weeping! You'll be billed after your free trial ends. Please accept his service. The servant exits with LUCENTIO and HORTENSIO, followed by BIONDELLO. My father was Antonio, a man well known throughout Italy. No, not a bit. For our accesswhose hap shall be to have her 235. See thou dissemble not. I must confess that your offer is the best. Flashcards. Enter HORTENSIO as LITIO, with his head broke. 'Tis age that nourisheth. If you can't, then she'll marry Sir Gremio. It will return, but Petruchio clearly did not miss the mark with his strategy, which capitalizes on her need for acceptance. As hazel nuts, and sweeter than the kernels. Act V, Scene 1 and 2 Questions and Answers Start Free Trial In The Taming of the Shrew , find an example of a pun in the conversation between Katharina and Hortensio in Act 1, Scene 1. After my death, the one half of my lands. Never make denial. You're lying, you hussy. [Bianca's hands are tied.] Purchasing [As LUCENTIO]That "only" came just in time. That covenants may be kept on either hand. An explanation of Petruchio's wordplay on "tongue" and "tail" in Act 2, Scene 1 of myShakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. Enter Katherina and Bianca (with her hands tied)] Bianca Good sister, wrong me not, nor wrong yourself, To make a bondmaid and a slave of me, That I disdain. Myself am struck in years, I must confess. Ay, to the proof, as mountains are for winds,That shakes not, though they blow perpetually. I'm also aware of your firm decision that your eldest daughter must marry first. Inexplicably, when Petruchio persists, she actually complies. Say she be mute and will not speak a word; If she do bid me pack, Ill give her thanks. [To TRANIO, disguised as LUCENTIO]But, gentle sir, you seem to be a foreigner. Proceed in practice with my younger daughter. God send you joy, Petruchio. And as for the education of your daughters, I here contribute a simple instrument and this small pack of Greek and Latin books. With all due respect, Petruchio, please let us poor petitioners get a word in too. At the beginning of the scene, though, Kate shows that she may have another motive for complying with Petruchio. As before, when Baptista is present, the men ignore Kate, talking about her, not to her. Content you, gentlemen. Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? If her temper results from her frustration with the dim-witted qualities of the men around her, one easy explanation for her acceptance of Petruchio would be that he is her equal in wit and willpower. For patience she will prove a second Grissel. Baptista arrives and scolds Katherina for torturing her sister. Youve successfully purchased a group discount. [To HORTENSIO as LITIO] Well, go with me and be not so discomfited. I tell you, it's incredible how much she loves me, though. I myself am getting on in years, I must confess, and if I should die tomorrow, all this will belong to Biancaso long as while I live she will be only mine. I find you passing gentle. Sunday comes apace. Petruchio has come from Verona to Padua to seek his fortune. "Moved," indeed. She has the patience of Griselda and the chastity of Rome's Lucrece. If not, to Signior Gremio. Sunday is coming soon. She must have a husband, while I must dance barefoot on her wedding day and lead apes in hell, all because you love her most. Why dost thou wrong her that did ne'er wrong thee? That is everything. Why would you hurt her when she's never done you any harm? Teachers and parents! If she tells me to get out, then I'll thank her as if she'd asked me to stay with her for a week. Boy, lead these gentlemen to my daughters, and tell them that these are their tutors, so make sure to treat them well. [as LUCENTIO] 'Twas a commodity lay fretting by you. The Taming of the Shrew: Act 5, Scene 2 Summary & Analysis New! Abrasive as always, Katherine tears into Petruchio from the moment he sets foot in her room. Ill fume with. And if you break the ice, and do this feat, 233. Content you, gentlemen. Subscribe now. She demands that Bianca say which of her suitors she prefers, and when Bianca does not, Katharina slaps her. Talk not to me. Here, Kate appears to be frustrated by the fact that her biological clock is ticking, but she finds herself caught in a vicious circle: she hates the suitors because they do not want to marry her, and men will not marry her because she makes it so obvious that she hates them. Was ever a match agreed upon so suddenly? Order your servants aroundnot me. First, as you know, my house within the city Is richly furnishd with plate and gold, Basins and ewers to lave her dainty hands; My hangings all of Tyrian tapestry, In ivory coffers I have stuffed my crowns, In cypress chests my arras counterpoints, Costly apparel, tents, and canopies, Fine linen, Turkey cushions bossed with pearl, Valance of Venice gold in needlework, Pewter and brass, and all things that belong To house or housekeeping. Oh, let me see thee walk! Fathers usually father their children, not the other way around. She threw her arms around my neck, giving me kiss after kiss and swearing vows of love, and in an instant she had won my heart. on 2-49 accounts, Save 30% Let specialties be therefore drawn between us, That covenants may be kept on either hand. It comes from my natural intelligence. I prithee, sister Kate, untie my hands. I was born to tame you, Kate, and change you from a wildcat Kate into a Kate as obedient as other domesticated Kates. Give me leave.. Two thousand gold coins a year from his land! The Taming of the Shrew Jump to line Act 1, scene 2 Scene 2 Synopsis: Petruchio, with his servant Grumio, has just arrived in Padua. Instant downloads of all 1699 LitChart PDFs. Otherwise, you must pardon meif you should die before your father does, then what would become of all the wealth Bianca is supposed to inherit from you? Nay, hear you, Kate: in sooth you scape not so. Farewell then. Let's have contracts drawn up between us, so both of us will be sure to keep up our end of the agreement. Let us that are poor petitioners speak too. When did she cross thee with a bitter word? And now you know my meaning. GREMIO TRANIO Along with this, she'll get two thousand gold coins a year, which is what my land earns me. You young gambler, your father would be a fool to give you everything and spend his declining years as a dependent in your house. Lucentio's marriage to Bianca is prompted by his idealized love of an apparently ideal woman. Then you'll lose your arms. And, let your father make her the assurance. I'm off to Venice. I know him well. To smile at scapes and perils overblown. The group is composed of the gentlemen who were on their way to the pub at the end of the last scene: Gremio with Lucentio (dressed as a schoolmaster), Petruchio with Hortensio (likewise dressed as a schoolmaster), and Tranio (dressed as Lucentio) with Biondello (dressed as his servant). Flashcards. Read The Taming of the Shrew here, with side-by-side No Fear translations into modern English. And, to pay the price of my admission to your hospitality, I here present you with a servant of mine. Now, Sir Petruchio, how's it going with my daughter? Let him that moved you hitherRemove you hence. Instead you entertain your suitors with mild and gentle conversation, and are quiet and friendly. Oh, you are all just beginners! . Kate, shocked, contradicts him, but he ignores her objections and insists to the other men that Katherine cannot keep her hands off him. Are you really jealous of me because of him? Baptista accepts the gift and then hears from Tranio, who, pretending to be Lucentio, presents his own gift of books and a lute, in exchange for the permission to see and woo Bianca. Then let Kate be the chaste one, while Diana is my love. So much for our hopes of freeing Bianca. And bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst. [as LUCENTIO] Why, then the maid is mine from all the world,By your firm promise. She is not hot, but temperate as the morn. other languages as the other in music and mathematics. I know not what to say, but give me your hands. You young gambler, your father would be a fool to give you everything and spend his declining years as a dependent in your house. . They do consume the thing that feeds their fury. Read more about Petruchios manipulation of Kate. His name is Litio, from Mantua. I swear Ill cuff you if you strike again. Say that she rail; why then Ill tell her plain, Say that she frown; Ill say she looks as clear. your father has consented that you will be my wife. We will go walk a little in the orchard, And then to dinner. Indeed, I do mean to keep myself warm, sweet Katherine, in your bed. And, for your love to her, lead apes in hell. Love and marriage are the concerns of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. You don't limp at all! But thou with mildness entertainst thy wooers, With gentle conference, soft and affable. William Shakespeare Biography & Background on The Taming of the Shrew. An old Italian fox is not so kind, my boy. PDF downloads of all 1699 LitCharts literature guides, and of every new one we publish. Of course, once the most important thing has been obtainedher love, that is. Why does the world report that Kate doth limp? If she frowns, I'll say that she looks as cheerful as morning roses newly washed with dew. (2.1, L. 154-155) Teaching/breaking Katherine into an instrument (the lute) vs. Katherine smashing the lute over Hortensio's head I know not what to say, but give me your hands.God send you joy, Petruchio. Why, there's no crab apple here, so don't look sour. His name is Litio, from Mantua. Unbind my hands, Ill pull them off myself. When fighting with Bianca, she admits that she is jealous because of the fact that her sister is being courted and will probably soon marry. If you should die before him, wheres her dower? Act 2, Scene 1. Exit Servant with LUCENTIO and HORTENSIO, BIONDELLO following. For I tell you, father, I am as peremptory as she proud-minded; And where two raging fires meet together, They do consume the thing that feeds their fury. Here comes your father. I am your neighbor, and was suitor first. Now, Kate, I am a husband for your turn, For, by this light, whereby I see thy beauty, Thy beauty that doth make me like thee well, Thou must be married to no man but me. [To KATHERINE] For shame, thou hilding of a devilish spirit! Go do some sewing, and don't talk to her. We will be witnesses. Taming of the Shrew | Act 2, Scene 1 A ct 2, S cene 1 Scene Summary [A room in Signor Baptista's house. Accept of him, or else you do me wrong. Well have you heard, but something hard of hearing. And with that she struck me on the head, so that my head went right through the lute. Or I'll do anything else you command me to do, for I know that it is my duty is to obey my elders. [BIONDELLO b rings the gifts forward] If you accept them, then their worth is great. Pray, have you not a daughterCalled Katherina, fair and virtuous? I'll wait for her here and woo her forcefully when she comes.

2022 Georgia Tag Sticker Color, Articles T

taming of the shrew act 2, scene 1 puns