whidden vs redding dies

Posted by & filed under multi directional ceiling vents bunnings.

The wide knurling on the die and lock ring make small hand adjustments simple. The tolerances of the Whidden Standard Die give a repetitive measurement time after time. JavaScript is disabled. Redding dies would be my 2nd choice. A phone call to them might be worth your time. The bushing size is dependent on case neck thickness and bullet diameter, not the chamber of the rifle. The Lee collet neck sizer seems to do both and I think it can be set to do a slight shoulder bump too. Avoiding the expander ball is a really go thing. Whidden Gunworks reloading dies are the best way to be sure you are getting the most out of your time at the reloading bench. We can use a reamer print to produce the dies however, if the dies are manufactured and are not compatible with your rifles chamber, Whidden Gunworks will not be responsible for replacement dies or refund. AS AN EXAMPLE: the loaded rounds measure on average .270 at the neck. And please refill my mug with some Bushing Die Stout, pronto. Home; . What Milo says is true, the brass changes because it flows forward and the neck gradually thickens which leads to an increase in neck tension. Point taken. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I don't believe you would be making a mistake with any of the die makers you mentioned for work out to 300 yds. Forster FL die ($68 and gives me super control over runnout) custom honed ($17) .004" under load neck dimension does not overwork neck. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I had used the same 100 Lapua cases for all of those, so averaging over 20 loads per case and still running fine. In determining neck tension with the non-bushing sizer die, simply change the expander ball size to obtain the desired amount of tension. Most over-resize the front portion of the case near the shoulder, and don't resize the base of the case enough, if at all. JavaScript is disabled. Redding type S fl sizing die with titanium nitride bushing. also, choosing bushing size for redding comp set. Redding dies (and everything else Redding) used to be so much less expensive than they are these dayssigh. I was referring to the Custom Whidden Set vs Redding Competition. In Stock. You must log in or register to reply here. Send a reamer print to the die companies and see if their die will match up with your chamber. Most of the dies I have are Redding with some Whidden dies mixed in as well as a few others. For turned necks you can get away with as little as 10 seconds. Deprime by hand. Yes. Yes. If you choose to send your fired brass, please do not resize and plan to send in three pieces. If you call die makers they will give you the specs of the sizing die so you know what would work. If you want maximum precision for your favorite rounds including many wildcat rounds you need the tools we build into each one. I like the Redding S sizer dies and the Forster micrometer seating dies. See our custom diesproduct pagefor further information. I also have the Forster micro seating dies for my .223. It seemed to me that you could size the neck down with a regular die and then set neck tension with a mandrel. I will likely get the Redding and use those until the whidden custom set is finished(8-10 weeks) if the Redding set does not work so well. Lololwhen companies are giving you barrels to test it's not a wasteand all you had to say is you want to see groups at distance big guy.. Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. Not sure why. How to Determine Which Bushings You Need: The easiest way to determine the proper diameter bushing, is to measure the neck diameter of several loaded or dummy cartridges with an accurate micrometer. A micrometer seating die is also better for many reasons. 2023 Whidden Gunworks All Rights Reserved, Click Adjustable Sizer & Micrometer Seater Set. Our hand-polished sizer die has a shorter OAL for better shoulder bump-back, a smaller base, and tighter internal tolerances. I'll be doing some 300-500 yard deer/antelope hunting with the rifle, plus play with it at the range for performance out to 300 yards. Run a bushing .002" undersize a loaded cartridge, and I "float" the bushing, don't lock it down. I like Redding and Whidden bushing dies but will stick to Redding if I have a choice. My experience isn't complete with them yet. This is beneficial when changing brands of brass, neck turning brass to achieve different wall thickness and experimenting with different neck tensions in loading. Thoughts? That being saidif there were anything else available in that cartridge Id save the $. That is setting neck tension with a separate part(mandrel) and a separate operation. Hand charge powder using Fx120i and V3 auto trickler; +/- .02 grains. You must log in or register to reply here. Some smiths flat out told me that I was making a mistake going with the Ruger, others simply wanted to sell me a custom or blueprinted Remington action, others told me that they get a whole lot more money to do the build because Rugers required special tooling to work on them. Topic Icons: Not Replied Replied Active Hot Sticky Unapproved Solved Private Closed. The way I approached it was to find out the reamer specs (or alternatively measure fired brass) to get a sense of a starting point that I should be looking for. 224 Valkyrie Premium Series Full Length Die Set. No issues with either. Redding 6.5 Creedmoor Master Hunter Set - The Best Redding Dies 6.5 Creedmoor. $19.95. For this example, a .268 Bushing would be a good starting point to obtain about .001 neck tension. I get that they would all serve me very well and Im splitting hairs for differences but Im still curious to see what youd go with and why. The bushings allow for .001 increments in neck tension in a range from .20 to .408 calibers. They also include a pin retainer should you chose to use your sizer without the expander. I'm indecisive about what die set to go with to get the best performance? Out of Stock. These will be for a 7mm STW and a 260 Remington. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I am looking at the Redding Competition Seater, Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater, Forster Benchrest Seater, or Whidden Micrometer Seater (260 only). Is there a difference in accuracy downrange shooting ammo that say has .007-.010 runout from a bushing die vs say a honed FL sizing die that produces runout between .0005-.001 consistently? I also use Forsters Full length non bushing dies with great success, you can send them in or order from them and for a very small fee they will hone the neck to you desired size. I've have both Whidden & Redding but in different calibers. Appreciate Leadburner's feedback. Is there a specific caliber or do you mean all Lapua brass? Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. I prefer them over my Whidden Seating dies. I got a Redding standard FL die and it has been successful getting the brass back into spec. I have some loads that I have been able to achieve my lowest runout values and most consistent neck tension by using an expander. With this method the amount of neck tension is determined by the size of the bushing as it is the only and last area of the die to be in contact with the neck of the case. The micrometer adjustable seating die has flutes for precise hand adjustment at the loading bench. Dillon 650 with Whidden Floating Tool Head and Floating Lock Rings. Just did the powder dispenser as a separate step. For some reason I get a little creep in the seating depth after I set it with the Hornady die but the Redding are solid. Question: What Bushing is correct for my Whidden Bushing Die? The Redding competition dies are very good but my favorite is the Wilson chamber die. I had a custom made from my fired brass for my 300norma, as chamber is slightly different then samii. Answer: Measure the neck diameter of a loaded round that you've produced with the brass & bullets you plan to use. You are using an out of date browser. The quality and outcome is far superior to anything else I have tried. If you are uncertain just email a photo of the cartridge and we can make a determination. I haven't done it so I can't confirm but I've been reading a bunch and I think it looks appealing. The Seater Die comes with a micrometer top for precise adjustments. With no preference on either, these types include the bushing sizer die and the non-bushing sizer die. Honed Forster FL dies gives me the least runout. The pin was not bent so the decapping rod appears to have been bent from the factory. But now have a Redding S die FL 308 die with Forster 308 micrometer seating die. I've had great luck with Redding S type bushing FL dies. I like the Redding micrometer better than the Forster but i think it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. Can you make good ammo with cheap dies? Does not work with the Dillon 550 and 650 presses. bobinpa. My Redding sizing dies all seem a little rough on the inside compared to the Whidden's. In our experience this allows for a more consistent neck tension when the case is loaded. Redding 6.5 Creedmoor Premium Deluxe Set - The Runner-Up. Once you pass about 600yds or so if everything isn't in order you'll know about it pretty quickly. I was questioning the statement ". you cant control neck tension with a non bushing die ..". By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. I use nothing but the Redding dies for my competition rifle. Whidden Gunworks manufactures custom dies for you to match your exact specifications for .20 Caliber and larger. In reality, over the coarse of brass life, the properties of brass change, and the gripping power of the necks will be the first indicator. You are using an out of date browser. Rcbs was fine and Hornady broke the recapping rod the first time I used it for no apparent reason. .. lk150 hat pattern. If you have questions or need help with ordering feel free to email us at: [email protected]. I was able to convert my 550 Dillon to precision reloading. Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. Always remember, windage and elevation!". But hey thats just me. I would go with Forester. Round. A honed neck IMO is good for a certain span of the brass life. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Regardless of how much you spend you can only do so much. I use them on 4 calibers currently. "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Trustpilot. charlie chaplin house new york why are blueberries from peru so big what holidays do methodists celebrate This would have to be checked out. I do like the Forster option of the Forster bushing die with three bushings its like hitting the easy button to me as theyve always been right what I needed without having to source the bushings separately which I like or wait till I get brass to load a round. This is the reason I solely use Forster honed FL sizing dies. For people who are searching for High End Die Face Off Forester Vs Redding Vs Whidden Dies review. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Whidden is asking for 3 fired casings to be sent to them to make the dies, however a blueprint of the reamer will also work. Send them 3 fired brass from your rifle. I want full length resize but am open to bushing. I'm disappointed in quality/control of the whiddens and also the seating stem on the micro seater. Question: If the neck of my rifle's chamber is .XXX, May I select the desired bushing for my Whidden Bushing Die from this measurement? We've more details about Detail, Specification, Customer Reviews and Comparison Price. Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator. Wilson Neck Sizing Bushings. Upon return, we bead blast, hand polish, inspect and process for shipping so please ensure you factor in the turnaround time when ordering. The Power-Pac linkage and solid steel arm multiplies the leverage you apply to the handle, making is easier to size cases and reduces fatigue more. I have several Whidden Bullet seaters and after reading the post above from DanMac I disassembled one of them. I then bought a RCBS FL sizer and havent had an issue since. This increase, however, is slow and gradual and the .001" increment in bushing size is too coarse to control it. Yes. So, I am looking to buy a set of dies for a 284 Win. Do you have a reamer print or know anything about the chamber reamer dimensions? Yeah I am referring to .059" flash holes in lapua brass (namely 6.5 x 47 mm) that milo was referring to. These dies are designed with a floating sleeve system which helps to improve concentricity- a must for repeatable precision. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, ranges, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! This allows for a consistent setting from one loading to the next without the need for adjustment. Dillon Powder Die for RL 450 RL 550 XL 650. Either can work best. Your gunsmith can give you a copy if you do not have it. Redding did decent for me, but would prefer Forster as a first choice. Whidden Click Adj Fl Bushing Sizer Die As handloaders have become more aware of shoulder bump and proper adjustment of the sizer die in recent years, there has become a . Doesnt seem to hurt accuracy as it shoots as well as I can shoot it that particular day. Its not a bushing die so Im still looking for an alternative but its hard to find anything in Canada right now. I dont believe that using or not using an expander should be generalized as a proper practice. So as I am looking for the dies online to buy, I noticed that the Redding dies are $60.00 to $100.00 more than the same set in Whidden. Would that make a bushing set pointless? Custom Dies. Upon completion your brass will be returned to you with your Custom Die. Home; Categories. The depth increments are easily read and will stay that way for years of use. To ease case neck entry into the bushing, all bushings have a small radius on the inside edge. And I always replace the Redding locking rings with the cross screw variety (Hornady usually) to save my die's threads. The non-bushing die is designed to size the outside of the neck as the case enters the body of the die. For precision loads, my favorite is the Redding Competition S die/ micrometer seater. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. I like the die a lot, it does what it's supposed to very well. So its just the bushing sizing the neck tension thats it? The pin retainer is used to retain the decapping pin and protects the stem of the die. I tried everything I could think of to fix it but no matter what it would dent the shoulder. Anyone used both and was their much difference in group size? Haha, the hydraulic press was my next ace in the hole for those thinking they have a handle on it. I prefer the Forster full length benchrest dies with the high mounted floating expander. Just preference and what youre happy with. I would advise against the whidden seating dies simply for the goofy nylon insert they use to seat the bullet. 21st Century Expander Mandrel to set precise/straight neck tension. I set up for a tiny shoulder bump-- just enough that the bolt closes easy. I'm planning on Whidden hydroform dies, however not decided on anything else for the reloading dies. Please read before using our Custom Sizer Die, Lead time for Custom dies is currently averaging 10 weeks. Once the die is set, the locking ring is simply secured using an allen head machine set screw. I just finished loading 60 rounds, same case, primer and powder with 3 different bullets (20 each). 5. I have 5 Whidden sizer dies and about 10 to 12 sets of Redding dies. To reiterate you can not set tension with a non bushing die. Is anybody using Whiddens custom dies? The Braves' wrestler is a perfect 3-0 in state competition . JavaScript is disabled. I don't give 2 shits if you anneal or repeat every step to the "T", it changes. First encounter was finding someone who was familiar with, who was good working with Rugers and who wanted to build the rifle for me. Trustpilot. Carry on with your bad self. Would like come comments/input to make the right choice the. This is similar to a Wilson hand die with micrometer top. 224 Valkyrie Type-S Elite Bushing Die Set. I personally own and use a set of Whidden dies, and I am very, very impressed with them. It serves no function in sizing. 13095 450th Ave. Bellevue, IA 52031. I do not neck turn, and I do not want to neck turn which is why I use Forster FL sizing dies. I want full length resize but am open to bushing. I currently have Redding Type S full length bushing dies for each and have been using RCBS seaters and not using the RCBS sizer at all. When I can produce ammo with virtually no runout for all calibers I reload for and precision rifle ammo that shoots tiny little groups all day long then I feel no reason to neck turn or use bushing dies. Ive got 2 sets, 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5SS. I prefer to full length size every time and Forster does not make such a die that will FL size and control neck tension. I have shot .090 groups with lee dies and .30 caliber bullets and I have shot .065 groups with .284 bullets and RCBS X dies. Place back on Dillon to seat using Redding Competition Seater. When sizing the case, the bushing of the die is pressed around the outside of the neck just after the expander ball of the die passes through the neck. Whether you're a hunter or a competition shooter Whidden Gunworks can manufacture Custom dies to your exact specifications and if needed can work with your gunsmith to ensure your dies are as accurate as your new rifle. With a non-bushing die, a bushing cannot be used. As the neck enters the bushing the bushing applies a predetermined amount of tension on the neck. The seating die that comes with the collet die set is a dead length bullet seater which I find is the best seater that comes with standard die set. I use nothing but the Redding dies for my competition rifle. Anneal, everytiime. I use Redding dies for everything I own, that is until I got my 6.5 PRC. Cookie Notice .300blk set for subsonic and set for supersonic with 155gr boolit.) Find 6.5 PRC Reloading Dies, and 6.5 PRC Die Sets for sale here: Get the right 6.5 PRC Dies or 6.5 PRC Reloading Die Sets for your press here at Midsouth. Honestly I'm not sure. Make sure the store keep your private information private before you buy High End Die Face Off Forester Vs Redding Vs Whidden Dies Make sure you can proceed credit card online to buyHigh End Die Face Off Forester Vs Redding Vs Whidden Dies plus the store protects your information from fraudulents Make sure the customer support is always there to help you when you place High End . The beauty of the progressive press is one completed round with every stroke. We also made a video on this subject that you can, Whidden Gunworks manufactures custom dies for you to match your exact specifications for .20 Caliber and larger. I have other Redding sizing dies (non-competition) where the decapping pin scribes a circle if you rotate it in your hand. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I'm not expecting this rifle back until April or May, then a 2-3 month waiting period for the hydro form dies and then another waiting period to get the actual die set made for full length sizing, it's going to be next Thanksgiving before I can actually get down to serious shooting. IMO, well worth the extra $$$. It's the Chevy or Cadillac choice. The expander ball passes through the neck of the case and sets the amount of neck tension. Redding, Forster, Whidden, Wilson, and other high-dollar dies may not be worth it if you're just plinking, but if . Forster honed necks hands down for best runout. I use the Redding Micrometer dies and have had good results. Today I shot a .1150 group with Redding match dies and I was a bit shaky. " Some dies, mostly non bushing dies, overwork the brass causing it to be work hardened, you cant control neck tension with a non bushing die, using an expander ball is not great for runout. High End Die Face Off Forester vs Redding vs Whidden Dies Lowprice Remington 700 Pmag trade 5 Ac L Magnum . JavaScript is disabled. The seating stem has a small nylon bush in the end of the seating stem which pushes against the nose of the bulletin quite far forward of the ogive. I use my 25/06 collet die to size the necks of my 257 Weatherby mag and it works great.

Mastoidectomy Recovery Blog, Calvert Lewin Stats Fifa 21, Brunswick County Superior Court Docket, Articles W

whidden vs redding dies