german potato salad recipe

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

My ex German mother in law made a great potato salad, but I have to say that for my own taste buds, this blew hers right out of the water. From Brenda Score of A Farmgirl's Dabbles. The best part is, you can double the recipe so easily, that leftovers usually don’t last that long! German Potato Salad isn’t like your classic American mayonnaise based Potato Salad Recipe with eggs, celery and mustard. Then they soak it up well when still hot. We were having a luncheon at the University I work at around Christmas time and everyone was to bring a recipe from their ethnic background. This was a delicious potato salad! https://www.food.com/recipe/cold-german-potato-salad-155245 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes. Kathy K July 12, 2019 8:25 am Great recipe. https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/hot-german-potato-salad.html My husband doesn't like the traditional egg potato salad, so I had to come up with a potato salad he would like. 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour I got this recipe from one of my German friends, so this is an authentic German potato salad and tastes excellent! Pretty good for someone who never made German potatoe salad before. My Grandparents used to make this for us when we were children. Especially others who don't normally like potato salad--I can't keep a full dish! I often bring it to potlucks, and we also have it at home on special occasions. Serve warm. I picked this one and I am so glad that I did! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Thanks! Frankfurter & Potato Salad “Carneval” Variation of a classic potato salad with blue cheese and marinated sun-dried tomatoes. I hate mayo, so I was on the hunt for a potato salad that didn't have mayo in it and found this gem! There are usually no leftovers, but if there are, they don't last long! Reply. I didn't have time to make in on the spot so I gathered my ingredients and put it in a slow cooker. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Great for a brunch or dinner side dish…and the perfect BBQ salad too. Broth as much as you need to make it moist and lightly creamy, depends on the potatos.. between half up to one cup and season it well so the salad doesnt get bland. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. This German potato salad is prepared easily but it’s different than others. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This is an altered version of the traditional German potato salad. I've cooked many German Potato salads myself. A coarse ground or stoneground mustard is key to flavoring this salad and the better the quality, the better the salad. This German Potato Salad is tangy, smoky, and sweet ... my idea of the perfect kind of salad! So, this recipe is wonderful! Preparation. ... My father got his German potato salad recipe from them. Serve it hot, warm, or cold at your next cookout! Cooking is fun! https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/omas-german-potato-salad/20328 Max. One major potato rule, especially for those who found it too dry, is that baking potatoes are starchy. Fry bacon; drain drippings from skillet reserving 1/4 cup. The only thing I added was a little celery seed. 1/4 pound bacon. Beat well and pour into hot pan with bacon and bacon grease stirring till thickened. The potato salad … I also cooked "Wisconsin Bratwurst" from Allrecipes. Everyone, German or not, loves it. This recipe could be doubled or cut in half. If I could have given it more than five stars I would have! Peel and slice into an ungreased 2-qt. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in a Dutch oven or large saucepan, bring to … 1/4 cup sugar. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/authentic-german-potato-salad Too bland? It is sweet and sour and has smoky bacon flavor and crunchy texture from the celery and onion. It’s sort of akin to … "Time for a potluck? I tried this recipe for some friends who had requested my German potato salad. We never use peeled potatos, just cook whole potatos, peel them pretty hot, cut and mix them with the sauce. 3 1/2 lb. 1 stalk celery, chopped. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Hot German Potato Salad. If you're a fan of potato salad, be sure to check out my Simple German (Swabian) Potato Salad {Schwäbischer Kartoffelsalat} , Herb & Greek Yogurt Potato Salad , or Classic Potato Salad ! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/authentic-german-potato-salad Saving money and feeding a big family can be accomplished. It was so good that I will probably never make traditional potato salad again. They have great salads, meats, dairy's (oh dear!) Info. Potatoes are inexpensive and often on sale. Reply. What is German Potato Salad. My father got his German potato salad recipe from them. Es war halt fantastisch!" Add 2 tablespoons salt. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, mustard, 2 teaspoons of salt, and pepper to make the … A hot potato salad with bacon, cheese and a creamy/vinegar sauce makes this a wonderful dish to serve with bratwurst on a cold fall day in Deutschland or wherever you might be. I ate lunch there almost every day and always ordered the potato salad. Tips for Making German Potato Salad. Reply. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot. Cut the potatoes in half if they are large, put them in a pot and add enough lightly salted water to … ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ And, yes, you can whisk in an egg into the dressing, giving it a creaminess as long as you let it set in the pan a minute or two to cook. Steam the potatoes: Fill a pot with an inch or two of water and set a steamer basket inside. My grandma is from the Southern part of Germany, a region called Swabia, and in that part of the country they make potato salad with oil and vinegar and add beef or chicken broth for flavor. My family loves potatoes and this recipe is one of our favorite ways to serve them. You can easily feed a crowd with this simple but tasty potato salad recipe. In a small bowl, add eggs, salt, mustard, sugar, vinegar and cayenne pepper. My "authentic" recipe calls for a teaspoon of celery seed, it adds a nice texture...this is my favorite potato salad. I'm making it again tomorrow for another luncheon, but there won't be any prizes this time. The serving options are endless as well! He made it with apple cidar vinegar. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the potatoes … Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Add celery, onions, salt and flour. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9470-german-potato-salad This hot German potato salad recipe makes an ideal summer side dish. I figured it must be the eggs and mayo aspect of the recipe that didn't sit well with him. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Sam | Ahead of Thyme says. I often bring it to potlucks, and we also have it at home on special occasions. We love the sweet and sour taste of this German potato salad. Drain, cool and slice thin. This is my mother's recipe. There are usually no leftovers, but if there are, they don't last long! In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 … Living in southern Germany, this is one recipe that I had to get before we got back to the States. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I don't know if the recipe changed when their ancestors left Germany from the hot German potato salad … I got this recipe from one of my German friends, so this is an authentic German potato salad and tastes excellent! Find five-star recipes for German Kartoffelsalat: hot, tangy, and just the way you remember it. Add the sliced, cooked … Dice and fry bacon. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.

Akg K371 Equalizer, Miele Vacuum Bed Bath And Beyond Coupon, How Do Fishermen Use The River, Chlamydia In Sheep Eyes, Is Lipscomb A Dry Campus, Trolli Sour Crunchy Crawlers Where To Buy, News Articles About Contracts, What Colors Do Bees Like, Dynaudio Evoke 20 Vs Kef R3,

Leave a Reply