Menard County Court in Menard, Texas. Unless changed by further public notice, the meetings will occur in the Menard County Courthouse, 102 South Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois 62675. Although the square and canal predate the 1931 courthouse and lend historical continuity to the site, the non-contributing jail, swimming pool and support building have altered the building’s historic setting and feeling. Taking advantage of the lower construction costs and plentiful labor supply generated by the Great Depression, the county constructed the building to replace their 1885 courthouse and jail. The somewhat unassuming location of the main entrance, centered in the protruding one-story section, is highlighted by its cast stone surround, with fluted pilasters on each side and the words “Menard County Courthouse” carved across the top. This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Although the Commissioners stated that there was no hope of saving the 1885 courthouse, which would block the view of the new building, they agreed to wait on their final decision regarding the old jail, which would sit behind the new courthouse, until the overall sentiment of community could be determined. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff Future Menard County juvenile delinquency tallies will show whether or not this approach is working. Withers clearly understood the significance of form and massing to Art Deco architecture, which was then proliferating in Dallas and Fort Worth. This building housed the Menard County courthouse and jail from 1880-84. He died on December 30, 1938. The old jail cells will be used.” Porter also reassured the reporter that he would use local labor whenever possible. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff This method was applied to buildings’ defining formal components, like columns and cornices, as well as in limited areas of applied decoration, often in the form of low-relief sculptural carvings. Throughout World War II, the Library Club sent books to Menard men in military training camps. $230,000. The 1931 Menard County Courthouse has served as the center of county government for over seventy years. No windows were included on the sides of the three-story sections, and the four-story mass has smaller casement windows without the lower horizontal openings. This photo is in 7 groups Illinois Flickrjournal 115,732 items Architecture of Illinois 3,503 items Architecture of Days Gone By 235,176 items Building with Stone 19,848 items buildings are beautiful 124,358 items Sky & Cloud Junkies (Please follow the rules :) 217,079 items Despite the introduction of limited oil and gas production in the 1940s, ranching has consistently dominated the Menard County economy. Although it illustrates a common approach to courthouse design in the period, the building’s stepped massing and strong formal statement are atypical, revealing the architect’s exposure to and sophisticated understanding of the style. As the county seat, Menard continues to serve primarily as a supporting center of commerce for the area’s agricultural economy, but tourism is an increasingly important industry for the town and county. A separate builder, Walker Mowath & Co., was used for the jail. In 1910, the town used a number of incentives to persuade the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad Company to extend their tracks to the town, which the railroad asked to be renamed Menard. The three central bays of the two-story wing are taller than the outer two, stepping up toward the central four-story mass. In addition to a good deal of interior painting, a suspended ceiling was added to the county judge’s office and the county courtroom, and floor tile was laid in many rooms. Jury Duty, District and County Clerk of Court, Phone Number, and other Menard County info. The Menard County Courthouse’s dramatic stepped massing is a particularly striking feature of its design. The form of the Menard County Courthouse is composed from several distinct masses of differing heights. The courthouse and jail were designed by architect T.P. An American Legion marker commemorating Menard County men killed in combat was erected in 1967, and a Texas Civil War Defense Monument is also on the square. William J. Vaughn, with partners William Tipton and James Comstock, established the Vaughn Agricultural and Mechanical Canal Company, in 1874. (Plan-20) The third floor is confined to the central section and includes the open space of the 2-story district courtroom, as well as its balcony, with a jury room and a storage space occupying the remainder of the floor. From 1880 to 1884, the limestone structureâs first floor housed a general store while the second functioned as the countyâs courtroom. Several changes had been made to the original plans to keep the total cost below $100,000. The 1931 Menard County Courthouse has served the local community for over seven decades. The rear (south) elevation of the Menard County Courthouse, which faces the courthouse parking lot, is a simpler version of the front façade. *Not location specific. The building’s very traditional H-shaped courthouse plan, with the central courtroom flanked by supporting offices, is obscured by the modern look of its rigidly geometric, stepped masses and its limited, stylized ornamentation. In addition to those costs, a vault and partition wall in the County Clerk’s office were not added until 1937. Menard County, All civil cases at law over $300., Civil cases in equity., Proceedings in habeas corpus., Felonies and misdemeanors, Proceedings in quo warranto., Prohibition and certiorari cases., Appeals from magistrate court, municipal court, and administrative agenc, Phone Number: 217-632-2615 The construction firm Vickery and Haynes of Kimble County submitted the lowest bid, $12,500, and was awarded the courthouse contract on May 12, 1885. The courtroom has been meticulously restored, from the wooden furniture and wainscoting, to the chandeliers to the gold trim painted on the sides of the folding seats in the gallery. According to the newspaper, the Commissioners signed a statement that they would not enter into a contract exceeding $100,000, but this was not confirmed by the Commissioners Court minutes. The historical celebration, “Jim Bowie Days,” has also been held on the courthouse square for the past 10 years. Menard County is a county in the U.S. state of Illinois.According to the 2010 United States Census, it had a population of 12,705. By the time the Spanish reached the valley, in the eighteenth century, they found enough Apache and Comanche residents to warrant the establishment of a mission, Santa Cruz de San Sabá, and a military fort, San Luis de las Amarillas Presidio, in 1757. Mr. Luckenbach used the building to start his hardware store, and substantial additions were made in the 1930s. Seventy-five men and boys showed up at the ground breaking looking for work. Historic King County Courthose Historic Menard Courthouse Historic Nueces County courthouse Historic Reagan County Courthouse (ruins) Historic Starr County Courthouse Historic Stonewall County Courthouse Historic Taylor County Courthouse For all but the four-story section, the cornice consists only of a row of bricks laid in soldier course. Probst Roofing Co. was awarded a $4,850 contract in March 1949 to re-roof the courthouse, except the jail and south wing, as well as waterproof and caulk the masonry and paint metal frames and woodwork. Simpson was paid $60 for his consultation. The City of Menard was asked to pay $12.50 for the office space it used in the courthouse in May 1937. Withers designed the Menard County Courthouse during a brief partnership with Jesse C. Thompson. Menard County, organized 1871, conducted its first county business in a house built of pickets before financing the construction of a more permanent, two-story limestone building designed by architect P. H. Mires. The width of the bays varies across the elevation, in an A-B-A-B-A pattern. Although the county most likely began using the new courthouse in 1931, furnishing the building would have to wait until the start of the new year. The canal was intended less for food production than for ranching, which has always been the mainstay of Menard County’s economy. Together, these isolated events illustrate the variety of functions that a courthouse must serve in a small rural community. A gas station now occupies the site. The Commissioners Court ordered on May 13, 1884, that bonds be issued for the construction of a new courthouse and jail, and county residents responded by passing a $20,000 bond issue. Their plans and specifications were approved by the Commissioners Court on February 5, 1931. A request had already been made, in July 1931, to donate the stone from the 1885 courthouse and jail to the Pioneer Rest Cemetery, which was the course of action chosen by the Commissioners. Menardville established itself early on as the county’s commercial center, with 300 residents by the early 1890s. It was not until two months later, however, on March 14, 1932, that the Commissioners Court accepted a furniture contract with the Dorsey Company of Dallas. 817-404-4638 Its central three bays are recessed slightly, separated by fluted cast stone pilasters with ornamental medallions above each one. Please be advised that a meeting of the Menard County Board of Review has been scheduled for Monday, February 8, 2021. A petition was circulated in 1930 calling for a bond election to build a new courthouse and jail. According to The Menard Messenger, a petition signed by all the directors of the Chamber of Commerce was presented to the Commissioners Court requesting that the old jail be saved for “some general purpose.” (August 13, 1931) The Lions Club also supported the retention of the jail for use as a meeting space, library or other public purpose. In addition to securing a number of his own commissions, Withers served as associate architect to the St. Louis firm of Mauran, Russell, and Crowell on Fort Worth’s 1929 Blackstone Hotel, and to Wyatt C. Hedrick on both the 1936 Will Rogers Memorial Center and the 1938 Fort Worth City Hall. Despite the excitement surrounding the courthouse’s construction and, as importantly, the provision of work for local men during the Great Depression, many citizens were also interested in keeping the 1885 courthouse and jail for community use. The canal served the dual purpose of irrigating land for growing grain and powering gristmills for processing the grain into feed. Extensive research did not reveal any further information on Porter. (Cohen 1988: 24, Menard Messenger). Throughout its decades in the courthouse, the library added depth and continuity to the community’s use of the building. All the bids were rejected for being too high, and new bids were requested immediately for review the following day. In August 1943, a contract for $897 was accepted from Probst Roofing Co. to repair the roof over the jail and on the south side of the building (near the jailers quarters). The simple, rectangular building, designed by McDermott and Associates, was sheathed in multiple shades of brick in an attempt to match the courthouse. One final attempt was made by the citizens of Menard to save the 1885 jail. STATE OF ILLINOIS ) The Menard County Board of Commissioners met on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Menard County Courthouse, 102 S. Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois. Menard County Courthouse in Petersburg, Illinois. Its seat is Menard. The building’s most common windows, which include an operable horizontal section below the vertically divided casements, were used on the two-story wings and the second floor of the central section. The side elevations offer the clearest view of the building’s stepped massing. The library used the courthouse space, free of charge, until March 1963, when it was moved to a house at the corner of Bevans and Mission Streets. A long sidewalk leads from the north entrance of the park, marked by a sign that straddles the sidewalk, to the front entrance of the courthouse. Visit our Links Page for websites providing Employment Listings, as well as US Government holiday closings. Ground would be broken the following day, with October 25, 1931 set as the completion date. Although the new courthouse and jail were originally scheduled to be completed on October 25, 1931, the paper reported in October that the buildings would not be ready for move-in until November 15. It was designed by P.H. Building Materials/Description: 4-story brick structure with limestone details. The 1931 Menard County Courthouse has served as the center of county government for over seventy years. The Commissioners Court seems to have been continually issuing extra warrants to pay for items that were not included in the construction bid, such as furniture and plumbing. A simple square boiler chimney is also visible rising from the rear. *Not location specific. The mission was burned to the ground by a group of Comanches in 1758. The building’s 1-story front entry section steps back to meet a 4-story central mass, flanked on each side by 2-story wings resting on a raised basement. Over the following three years, the library remained dedicated to re-establishing an adequate library for the school. The two-story stone courthouse, which featured a prominent central tower, was built on the current courthouse square near the canal. The building would have a residence on the first floor, with the jail upstairs, and would be designed to disguise its function. Additional: Circuit Court Clerk: Penny Hoke. The façade’s metal casement windows vary in size and style. The Commissioners Court, judge, sheriff, and other county officials prepared to visit several recent courthouses and jails for ideas, including those in Uvalde, San Antonio, and Eagle Pass. The design of the 1931 Menard County Courthouse reflects a number of the era’s trends in the architecture of public buildings. Instead of capitals, the pilasters feature an inset panel of cast stone with a stylized floral design resembling a Mayan hieroglyph. (Cohen 1988: 24), In addition to the Menard County Courthouse, Withers designed several other Texas county courthouses during his career, including: 1911 Jones County Courthouse, Anson; 1912 Armstrong County Courthouse, Claude; 1912 Marion County Courthouse, Jefferson; 1932 Young County Courthouse, Graham (with Thompson); 1938 Ector County Courthouse, Odessa; and 1938 Upshur County Courthouse, Gilmer. It is difficult to determine a total cost for the 1931 Menard County Courthouse. The Parents and Teachers Association (PTA) has their annual auction at the American Legion Park. The original bid was for $6,713.51, but it had been revised down to $3,908.51 in February. He established his own firm, Elmer G. Withers Architectural Company, Inc., in 1928. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided the labor in 1933-34 to lay the stones for the fence, but the arch was added later. (Figure-25), Both the 1885 courthouse and jail were razed when the new courthouse was built in 1931. Only minimal changes have been made to the exterior of the courthouse, and it also retains a high degree of integrity. County Seat: Menard The concrete walls of the raised, but unfinished, basement are exposed on the side and rear elevations, providing a visual base. Even today, the courthouse and square continue to serve as a social center for the community. This work appears to have been more successful, as no other roof repairs were reported until the 1980s. The first floor includes most public offices and the small county court room. Additional county offices are in the wings, with the district courtroom occupying the majority of the building’s central core. Camp San Saba was abandoned in 1859, however, and many of the area’s residents left as well. The newspaper estimated that 12 or 15 businessmen attended the meeting and suggested that the total cost should be limited to $100,000. Building Materials/Description: Vernacular, wood picket, Building Completion Date: 1886 Twenty-two bids came in on March 9, 1931, ranging from $135,000 to $176,000. The storeroom in the basement was also added at this time, and a curved, Formica-covered desk was purchased for the county courtroom. The style is representative of the progressivism that defined the era, in which erecting a courthouse with a novel, “modernistic” design became a public assertion of the county’s commitment to growth and improvement. The second building used as a courthouse was a limestone commercial building in downtown Menard. In 1930 in a close election, county residents approved a new jail and courthouse. 2nd Floor, Menard County Courthouse Phone: (217) 632-2615 Fax: (217) 632-4124 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Any person who believes that she or he has been aggrieved by an unlawful discriminatory practice under â¦ (Plan-19) Stairs at each end of the central section lead up to the second floor. It was also mentioned that, without a new courthouse, the county would still have to spend at least $5,000 on a new vault. The three-story mass that rises behind the entry section is the most ornamental face of the building. The pecans that fall from the square’s many trees are considered public property and people often gather to collect them. Although a cot was added in March 1937, the sheriff was ordered to discontinue use of the space in November of the same year because it was a hazard to a person’s health. County Seat: Menardville The interior of the Menard County Courthouse reveals a fairly traditional, H-shaped courthouse plan. Menard County Clerk's Office Texas. Mr. Elmer J. Withers of the Fort Worth firm Withers and Thompson, designed the new courthouse with a â¦ The canal separates the southern block, which includes the courthouse and 1980 jail building (non-contributing), from the northern block, a mostly open space known as American Legion Park. As shown on the 1921 Sanborn map, the 1885 courthouse and jail both occupied the south block, with the north block reserved as open public space. The Menard Messenger related details of an additional petition presented to the Commissioners Court, which asked to preserve the old jail “as a living monument to early day builders.” (September 24, 1931) This petition had many signatures of concerned citizens, but the Commissioners were not persuaded from razing the building. The county has thus retained much of its rural character. At that time, the north and south halves of the square were still separate blocks, divided by Canal Street. When the local high school burned down in the fall of 1948, the library became the county’s sole source of books. The building’s design exemplifies the widespread influence of Art Deco architecture on Texas county courthouses, but also the tendency to retain some entrenched traditional features.
Check Fibonacci Series In Java, Omron Body Composition Monitor Manual, Nestle Toll House Simply Delicious Dark Chocolate Morsels, E7 Triad Guitar, Comfrey Plant Images, Massachusetts State Jobs Hiring Process, Seafood Instagram Captions,